Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Toon Tracking Help!
So I'm new to pontoons...

Help me track the damn thing straight while rowing! I can go dead straight in a tube kicking, and same while kicking in the 'toon. Just when I oar I SUCK! Is it just an acquired skill?

Also, my poor girly hands feel like they're getting beat up. Maybe I'm pulling too hard?

Has anyone ever tried fitting skegs or keels to a toon? I know that they'll hinder shallow water running and pivoting under finning, but I'm at a loss. Maybe temporarily as training wheels?

Thanks!

_SHig
[signature]
NFO tried them but the cost and the low demand ended that.
I don't know of any out there. There was one other company but it is out of business due to legality of the co. name.

I like my oars about 8" apart (the end of the handles when oars are straight out to the side) Any more and they are not comfortable.
Shorter oars on the packable boats are in my opinion not long enough.

As far as rowing straight, it will come, but I don't notice any unusual abuse to my hands and I am a girl.
It IS more productive to row backwards, forward is awkward, but all in getting use to it
[signature]
Backwards only for sure...

As for the keel, looks like a simple build!

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0043101319662a.shtml

_SHig
[signature]
Let me know how that thing works. I don't know anyone else that uses one and they have been around for awhile.

I would say, AGAIN, get longer oars
[signature]
I don't think it'll work all too well. I think for my uses I need one that fixes to the ends of the points near my feet. Kinda like the vertical stab on a plane. Keeps the back end back, ya know?

Having this thing midships wouldn't be very effective I think...

I'll build something and post up.

As for oars, I don't feel that they're short. Heck, if anything, maybe I'm pulling too much mechanical dis-advantage and I should shorten them up to reduce the force I need to horse into 'em. I do have them set pretty stubby coming out of the locks...

_SHig
[signature]
Maybe if the wheel used for moving a toon was mounted back by the motor it could be left attached and serve as a keel as well?
[signature]
Most definitely, Idaho, but he doesn't have a motor. He is talking about rowing.
[signature]
Sorry, thats right about the rowing, but where the motor mount is if that is where a wheel were atached maybe it would work like the keel in the Cabella's picture? Just trying to get a multiple use out of the portage wheel, if used. Then you would need to take it off when you were out fishing.
[signature]
I am sure you are right about the wheel and Keel may be interchangeable.
I know of ONE person, that put a keel on his pontoon. Why? Because he had the Skycomish and a motor with a wrist band controller. He wanted to be able to stand on the platform and steer his boat around on the lake.....it didn't work.
Most people first time out, realize their dominant side is going to row stronger. You learn to compensate.
With the comment of Oar length. The pontoon at the lodge had the oars very far apart. Arms not only stuck out straight on the back position, but out to the sides. No leverage balance so it was very hard to row straight.
My hubby and myself, have our oars set at 16" from end to oar mount. Hands 6" to 10" apart at the most. Just don't want to bump the ends of the oars.
My Navigator II is advertised as 9' long (which I am sure is measured by following the bottom of the boast including curves) The oars that came with them are 6' long. They would not function correctly when adjusted to the 6" to 10" apart (straight out to the sides). I replaced the BLADE portion with the blade portion of my Cardiac Canyon. The oars are now 6'9" and work perfect.

I am sure there would be more KEELS on the market if they were needed, but IMHO I don't think they are. Just learn to compensate for the different variables.
[signature]
Hmmm, reading this discussion, leads me to think I might want to lean back towards getting a v-shape tube rather than a smaller pontoon. After all, they track straighter and are not as succeptable to turning in a cross wind, right? Is the Nav 2 the only v that has the capabilities of oars?
[signature]
The only one I know of that is still in production.
It has been a couple of years since I have been in a tube, so pontooning or in the Navigators case PonTube, I don't notice the tracking, or the wind problems. I am not a big woman either. My legs aren't that strong to kick all day, so the rowing is required.
I have even caught fish while rowing in to shore (TROLLING).
[signature]
[quote k_fish_4_fun]Hmmm, reading this discussion, leads me to think I might want to lean back towards getting a v-shape tube rather than a smaller pontoon. After all, they track straighter and are not as succeptable to turning in a cross wind, right? Is the Nav 2 the only v that has the capabilities of oars?[/quote]

Well, depends...

In my 'toon, I can fin probably close to if not twice as fast as in my Fish Cat. With oars turbocharge that. Sure wind will affect you more, can't help that, but anchors help! Smile

While kicking, it's a breeze to travel arrow straight. I think it's my technique that's hindering my rowing tracking.

I'll probably give it one more shot before I start hacking together some training keels...

_SHig
[signature]
Keep your feet in the water also that may help and may hurt. I found it just takes a good row across a small lake to get it down.
[signature]
I don't know if this will work, but a short video of me rowing.

[url "http://s44.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/FlyGoddess/Little%20Dell/Rowing.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1"]http://s44.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/FlyGoddess/Little%20Dell/Rowing.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1[/url]
[signature]
Practice, practice, practice!

It is an acquired skill. I had difficulties on my maiden voyage as well.

At first, you will need to adjust your rowing stroke on one side as opposed to the other just to straighten out and keep your bearings.

Eventually you will develop a feel for firm and equilateral pressure that you will exert on the water.

Speed will come with time. Work on the straight first.[cool]
[signature]
You'd hate to have to say, a girl can do it but I can't![laugh]
[signature]
Maybe there are things that should just be left to the girls?

<ducking and running>

_SHig
[signature]
Yeah.....well.....kinda....sorta......uh.......Ok! You got me Sis.[crazy]
[signature]
So I took another trip out in the 'toon today. I figured out what I was doing wrong:

Couple of things actually... First off if I have the handles nearly together at the center, it's easier on the hands to pull, and easier to track.

Also, once I realized this, I also realized that I had probably been pulling to get "up on plane", which is pretty useless. Once I learned to take it nice and easy on the pulls and backed off the ridiculous leverage, it was all good.

_SHig
[signature]
Took our Pontoons out this weekend after retiring them for the Navigators two years ago (easier to pack the Navi's, but we got that figured out now)
I absolutely LOVE the Pontoons. Out of the water more, they FLY through the water, low profile makes wind not a big issue (and we had wind) Lotsa room to move around, specially with a full deck (Baxter loved that).
And flippers moved it with ease.
I did make note of my hands this time. They are all the way to the end of the oars and then there is about a 4" gag between with oars straight out.
I realized also, NO tracking problems what so ever.

[Image: bendo5.jpg]
[signature]