Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado/Rogue pontoon owners...
I am buying an Outfitter XT pontoon boat from Costco. This boat is the Rogue by Classic Accessories reboxed for Costco. I have heard that TU/CA has made improvements to Colorado/Rogue recently. Can somebody tell me exactly what improvements have been made? My only concern about this boat is that the engine mount is off to one side. Does this create the problem of the prop hitting the pontoon? Or would a motor with a 36" shaft solve this? And finally, can somebody give me your honest opinion of these boats? I can get the boat, motor and a battery for the cost of some other boats. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
A friend of mine got one and seems to not have a problem with the motor and even put a small gas motro on it, so not sure that a real long shaft is needed. His electric is the 30# minkota which is a short shaft, bit I'm not sure how long it is.

Locks like a good starter toon, I think the bags on the end are kindof a waste as you can't use them that much, but for a raincoat or something you don't need to get to quickly might be good storage for that stuff.

I don't know what the material used quality is, but it should be OK with the proper care and keeping an eye on it.

He's had fun with his and hsn't gotten wet yet.
[signature]
Hi, I just came across your posting and I'm looking into buying a 9' Rogue pontoon from Walmart. i am 6'2 about 280 lbs and i plan to put a trolling motor (with a 40lb battery of course) on it as well. I know it has a 400 lb weight capacity but does that mean if I come close to that weight limit I will have problems or be uncomfortable? Thanks and God Bless.
[signature]
I don't believe you will have any problems. Mine is rated at 300# and am over that limit all the time and I do well.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]As a general rule, when a manufacturer specifies a weight rating, it is a suggestion...not the absolute maximum you can carry. Theoretically, if you tried to float 401 pounds you would sink. In reality, you could probably load up with 500 pounds and still have plenty of floatation. It is an "out" for them in the event of a mishap and litigation. Everybody is afraid of lawyers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One bit of advice I will offer is to be sure you balance everything out...front and back...so that your craft rides level. That may take some adjustment of the seat and foot bar locations, if that is available on your craft. Adding a motor and heavy battery behind the seat can put your normal positioning out of whack. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Before you take it fishing, take everything to the water where you can comfortably play around with the loading and positioning until you get it right. If properly balanced it will track better and you get better propulsion from your motor.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am guessing that you will not likely exceed the 400 pound mark...and if you do you will not suffer because of it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let us know how you do.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have seen a few on the water. Personally, I don't care for the strap across the front. I fly fish and that is how I land fish, in front of me.
I don't understand the two end pockets either, you can't reach them on the water. I prefer TWO big bags on both sides, but that is just me.
I agree that MOST boats can take 50 to 100 lbs more.
Marine Batteries are the heaviest. Mine is close to 60 lbs. Put it right behind your seat as close as you can. You may need to slide the whole frame forward on the pontoons if possible.
Keep the weight right in the middle.
[signature]
Main difference from the Colorado & the 2008 Colorado XT is that Classic Accessories changed out the air valves. On the older Colorado people were having problems w/ air leaking out. Also the new model does not have the front pockets & the side bags on the older model are sewn on the pontoons. The new model, the side bags are not sewn on & you can take them off. Also the new model has a stripping tray that you can either put on the pontoon boat or not.

Here's my honest opinion on the Colorado pontoon boat. I bought the 2008 model.

It wasn't as good as I thought it would be. First a few areas on the pontoons, the seams were coming undone. And I did NOT over inflate the pontoons. I even let some air out when I felt that they were harder on hot days in the water. Secondly, it is sluggish in the water. It does not move as good as an Outcast pontoon boat. Thirdly the foot rests are positioned low, I had to flip them up so my feet & fins weren't dragging in the water. Fourthly, the motor mount sucks. I thought it was a great idea to have the motor mount either on the left or right side, so it's an easier reach to the trolling motor handle. That wasn't the case, it was uncomfortable to reach around the side to get at the handle. Also you have to position the trolling motor lower in the water, so the motor blade DOES NOT cut into the pontoon. Classic Accessories suggested to get a trolling motor w/ a 36" shaft, I didn't understand that till I tried using a 30" shaft that I noticed that it wasn't long enough & it was close to the pontoon. Fifthly the rear cargo deck is long & narrow. It was not easy fitting a trolling motor battery & other gear on that deck. Lastly, the oars that were 2 piece felt wobbly when put together.

So I returned the Colorado XT to Cabelas & bought an Outcast FishCat IR-9. This is SO much better than the Colorado XT. It moves/manuevers much better in the water. The motor mount is in the back middle. I can raise the trolling motor higher & have a better reach & angle to the trolling motor handle. It's also slightly lighter too.

If you don't use a trolling motor, than the side motor mount won't be a problem. If you buy either the Colorado or Rogue try & get an extended warranty. Trust me, you'll need it when the seams start coming apart.
[signature]