Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAT-TASTIC Day at Da Knolls
[cool] [font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]TubeBabe, myself and LloydE had a real catfest at the Knolls yesterday. Lloyd had never fished it before, and we had not been there for a couple of weeks, so it was game on.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff] [/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]TubeBabe was first off the launch beach, just before 7 AM. I was next and Lloyd launched last…as usual. Air temp was a comfy 60 and no bugs. Water temp was 73 at launch, warming to 80 by the time we hit the beach after 1 PM.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]We all started by dragging bait on one rod, while slinging plastics or crankbaits on our second rods. I had not been bit on either, when Lloyd announced on the walkie talkie that he had just scored our first cat…not a big one, but the first of many for the day…within 15 minutes of launching.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]TubeBabe had already kicked way out offshore, into 9 feet of water. She had a couple of “pop and drops”, but had hooked nothing yet. I was just getting into 7 feet of water. I hit a small zone, and caught a small channel on a piece of carp meat under a bobber. Shook it off. Missed a runner from a larger fish and then hooked up with my first fish with shoulders. Zing went my string and it bent my stick good. In the warm waters of summer those kitties get an attitude. Turned out to be my first of three 24 inchers for the day.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]After I coaxed Lloyd out into deeper water where the larger fish have been hanging out, he went bendo on his first mega kitty. It was the biggest cat he had ever been connected to, and it showed him that walleyes are not the only worthy adversaries in our Utah ponds. After several minutes of whooping and hollering (by Lloyd, not the fish), the 23” whiskery walleye grudgingly crawled into Lloyd’s net. As he held it out to look at it, the look on his face was “NOW WHAT”. Fortunately I had provided a larger basket than the wimpy one he had been using on previous trips. But, it was still a WWF ordeal for him to rassle that first fish into the basket. [/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]TubeBabe finally decided to return from visiting Goshen, at the other end of the lake, and came back to the rocky point where we had been doing well on previous trips. As Lloyd and I approached from the east, she announced on the radio that she had scored a couple of nice cats and a couple of smaller ones as well. No skunks for any of us. We were all in the kitties.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]The weather forecast was for calm, turning to NW breezes by late morning. Reality? A SE breeze that blew almost all day, with brief periods of calming. It got strong enough several times that it was a chore to maintain position. I should know by now to plan on exactly the opposite of what the forecast is for Utah Lake. It makes its own weather…whenever and however it wants.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]But, the fishing was worth it. Catching was only sporadic through mid morning. Good enough to keep us interested, but slower than on previous trips. Just before 10, the kitties got busy. At that time, I had one 24 incher and a couple of smaller ones in my basket. Then I started getting bit by big fish with regularity. Using minnows and large pieces of two year old frozen white bass meat, I was constantly bendo for the next hour or so. I missed a few hookups, when the bulky meat got tangled around the hook, but I brought in two more “cookie cutter” 24 inchers, a 25 incher and a 26 incher that whupped on me for several minutes. That biggest one had a length of frayed leader sticking out its mouth. Some other angler probably has a good fish story about the one that got away. I also got several smaller cats…releasing a half dozen or so. It was good to see so many of those spotted younger cats. They were all fat and healthy. Looks like a good future for the Utah Lake kitties. But, those small ones have sharp spines. We all sustained cuts and spine holes from trying to release those feisty small cats. OUCHIE.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]Lloyd and TubeBabe were also getting lots of bites, and bringing in more fish. We all suffered from bait stealers and pop and drops…inexperienced fish that did not know how to get hooked. What would have normally been plenty of bait was depleted for all of us. I was out of minnows, carp meat and white bass meat with 7 cats in my basket. [/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]I started kicking back to the car, throwing a pale perch color RatLTrap I still had on a rod from Starvation. Bang bang. The white bass loved it. Lots of hits, but only a few hooked. Still, a fun way to fight the increasing SE breeze on the way back. Also caught another spotted young cat on the crankbait and finished off my limit in the basket. [/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]Back at the vehicles we took pictures of the haul. A limit of 8 for Lloyd, including two 25 inchers and a 23 incher. He was wored out but happy. Whiskery walleyes were fine with him. TubeBabe had caught a grundle of the smaller fish, but had only kept about five, with a couple over 22 inches in her basket.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]Da Knolls was CAT-TASTIC.[/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
You are going to wear Lloyd out. Sounds like a great trip.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, Lloyd is a trooper. He hangs in there for full days with lots of wind and lots of kicking around. He is still working on steering efficiency and all that but he has plenty of stamina. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I "hit the wall" yesterday though. After all the long distance kicking and working against the wind all day, I made it about half way through the group filleting and simply folded up. Dehydration and heat made me shut down and take the rest of the fish home to be filleted later. I took water out in the tube and drank a lot, but not enough to replace what I expended. Good lesson learned.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great trip and great pics... I got "spine'd" last time I was out there.. those cuts ITCH!

that same SE Wind is what beat me up last time we went, I was sore for a couple days from the kicking efforts.

Really, you just can't explain to someone what it's like to get beat up by kitties until they've been in the float tube and fought several that DO NOT want to get into your net! Lots of fun!

Although, I don't think it was very fair of you to take Lloyd on such a crash coarse for his first outing.. a trip like that can lay a guy up for a couple days!

Thanks!
[signature]
Nice post, Nice Cats, Nice Pics. I've never been to UL but I might have to go for some kittys.
[signature]
Nice report and pics!

Were you just drifting the carp meat on a bobber for those larger fish? I guess I'm wondering whether the cats "came up" to the bait or whether you were dragging the bottom in that "deeper" water.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yesterday, I only fished a bobber for a short time...while I was going out through the shallower water. Once I reached 7 feet deep, I took off the bobber and dragged a minnow on one rod and either carp meat or white bass meat on the other rod. I use no weight...except for a hook and a swivel about two feet up from the hook.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I cast about 30 to 40 feet back behind the tube and then just drift or slow kick to keep the bait dragging on or slightly above the bottom. Once in awhile I stop, to let fish catch up to the scent trail I leave. But, when the fish are active, they usually hit on a fast drift or drag.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The hits are seldom gentle. I leave the bail open on my reels and clip a loop of line under a clip on my rod holder. When the fish hit, they pop the line free and the line goes streaming off the reel until I pick up the rod, flip the bail closed, let the fish come tight and then set the hook.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That being said, fishing bait under a bobber is often a very effective method. I have taken cats with a 4 foot leader under a bobber in 20 feet of water at Willard. And, it is common to catch cats in deeper water at Utah Lake with only 3 to 4 feet of line below a bobber. Many people think that cats are bottom huggers, but they will rise up to take lures and baits. In fact, I have seen fish suspended above bottom on sonar and was surprised when the fish I dropped down to turned out to be catfish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When the fish are less active, fishing the bottom is best. When they are cruising and looking for food, a bobber can work well. And, if you are fishing a snaggy area, the bobber can help save some tackle for you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
you guys rock as always TD. great pictures and report as well. thanks for sharing. [cool]
[signature]
2 months ago I tried to locate the knolls. I drove down west of Utah lake and couldn't find the road to the lake and ended up driving for 40 miles. You do enter thru the west side don't you? I ended up fishing at the narrows/bridge near the Lehi crossroads.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks, Red. Haven't seen much from you lately. You need to go fishing and post a report too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
On the west side of Utah Lake headed south, you go past all the Saratoga Springs homes, past Pelican Point Gravel Pit, past the marina, past everything, and if you keep your eyes peeled on the lake side of the road you'll see a tall rounded hill. Aha, it's a knoll. Turn left onto that pretty good road, and you'll be comin' around the mountain. Go all the way to the lake shore and don't wake up the campers still sleeping in their tents. The water is very shallow for farther than you can cast, but if you've got a tube you can get out to where the bigguns are. (The other day some fools were driving around shooting out of the windows of their car.) Lots of midges but didn't see many skeeters. Tons of big carp in those shallows.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The turnoff is at mile marker 19. Turn south off Hwy 68 (Redwood Rd) and follow the gravel/dirt road down to the lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Another great fishing experience! I have caught many channel cats at many different places, but I have never caught any this big! I really didn't know what to do when I had that fist large cat in my net. He was too big for me to put my hand around his head, and I was afraid he might put a hole in my tube if I took him out of the net. What an interesting dilemma! Thank goodness you were there to talk me through the process.

What a great opportunity to fish with you and TubeBabe again yesterday. You are both so experienced in catching those large cats! Thanks for the mentoring, and the great company.

P.S. I was worried about you at the fillet station. I could tell that you were not feeling your normal self. I was glad to see that it was not too serious.
[signature]
Good job! Looks like some very nice cats.

I can relate to the spine thing; as I had one poke a hole in my pontoon last year.

I am glad to see the cats are coming on strong.
James and I suspected that with the weather cooling down the cats would pick up.

We are going into a shutdown here at work so it will be more than two weeks before we can get down there and remove some of those pesky kitties from the lake.
[signature]
Thanks for the directions tubedude. Also, thanks for the pics of your tubes. Seeing your pics helped me to line my tube with a PVC setup. I like the tube better than my pontoon boat. Hope to see you out at UL sometime.Good luck!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad to help. If you have a new tube, and want more info on using it or getting it "tricked out", you should wander over to our [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?;category=66"]FLOAT TUBE BOARD[/url].[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you just need some help with making a rod holder, [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=262789;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]HERE IS A LINK[/url].[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know when you plan a trip and if my dance card is open we can meet up somewhere.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We were happy that you were able to experience some of the larger cats. Many anglers have caught "average" sized two to three pounders, but until they have caught kitties over 5 pounds...from a tube...they do not have the proper respect for their power and stamina. I personally think that a 5 pound cat would kick "tail" against a 5 pound bass.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Next on the agenda is to hook you up with one over 10 pounds. In the "GORILLA CLUB", you cannot become a true "gorilla" until you subdue a cat ten pounds or larger. Under 5 pounds, you are a "monkey". Between 5 and 10 pounds...a chimp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You are right. I was feelin' poorly at the fillet station. But, once I got cooled down and rehydrated I was fine. I gotta drink more water next time. No good to take it out in the tube and then not drink it. All that kicking against the steady breeze was more strenuous than I thought. Of course, fightin' all those big cats was tough duty too. But, I'm a trooper. I'll do it again any chance I get.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Damn I miss big catfish. I haven't caught one large cat since Lake Havasu in Arizona over 10 years ago! And it was just 6 pounds and I caught it in the "cold" month of December when the air temp was 45 degrees.

If Utah Lake was not PCB contaminated you would see me there quite often.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I lived in Arizona and fished Havasu too. It is probably more contaminated than Utah Lake. It is downstream from lots of municipal and agricultural pollution. And, you know what all those wild and crazy kids do in the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The PCB thing has everybody whacked out. Very few people really know anything about it...or that the agency that raised the alarm has standards three times more stringent than FDA requirements. In fact, Utah Lake is probably safer overall than a high percentage of other large lakes in the US. Just because it is shallow and gets muddy when the wind blows makes everybody think it is terribly polluted. Heck, Willard Bay gets muddy these days but it has a better reputation so nobody worries about it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Jordanelle is worse than Utah Lake for potential food hazards. It has high concentrations of mercury in perch and brown trout. But, because it is clear, nobody worries about it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of our lakes have something in them that we might not like to ingest. But, some families in Utah County have been eating fish from Utah Lake for generations...several times a week...and nobody has ever had any identifiable illnesses attributable to eating the fish. No extra appendages or eyes in the middle of the forehead either.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can't believe how often people roll their eyes and groan when I tell them I fish in Utah Lake...and eat the fish. Just last week my grown stepson almost started foaming at the mouth when I told him I ate catfish from Utah Lake. "What about all that mercury?" he asked. Like most other people, he does not even know the facts...just heresay and rumors. There is not a mercury problem in Utah Lake. He had never even heard of PCB...much less having any idea what it is or what it does...or doesn't do.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The cats are big and lots of fun. I do not know any other place in the west where you can consistently catch so many cats with such a large average size. The "cookie cutters" are 24" long and on a good day you can count on hanging at least one ten pounder. You DON'T HAVE TO KEEP THEM. There is such a thing as catch and release. I don't keep the biggest ones either.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Go ahead and let some of those bigguns abuse you. Just pretend that it is mandatory catch and release and then you can feel good about it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have eaten cats from Utah Lake as well; never grew hairs on my elbows. Or had strange hallucinations..
[signature]