Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly making for non-tyers
First off, I want to say I recommend anyone wanting to make flies learn how to tie flies so you can make really nice flies for yourself to fish with.
But what happens if you are a flyfisher but not a tyer??
You can make emergency flies to fish with, and all you need is a way to hold a hook steady.This technique will also make flies if you are in another state on a vacation fishing trip and you want to make a fly, even though you don't have lots of materials with you. (I've made flies using sparkly rug fibers from rug samples)
This method works well in making minnow type flies. All you need is a small $1.00 hot melt glue gun from the dollar store and a glue stick. With the hook held in place whether by vice grip or stuck into a piece of wood, put a small drop of hot melt glue on the back of the hook at the bend, and stick your tail material. Put another hot melt drop and wrap your body material (yarn) to the front and anchor it with a drop.. You can also add flash to that fly by wrapping a thin strip of shiney mylar cut from a potato chip bag. Put one more small drop and stick your wing material to that letting it flow back over the body. One last small drop to make the head, and that can be colored with a magic marker.
VOILA !! An emergency 30 second fly that will catch fish.
It's not going to be as nearly nice and buggy looking as one ties the correct way, but if you need to make a fly in a hurry, this method will tie small flies or large flies in a vacation hotel room that will catch even barracuda size fish in salt water.

Ohio Rusty ><((((o>
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there OhioRusty - rather an interesting concept. Sounds like it would work except on stream. Wouldn't know where to find an electrical outlet in the wilderness. LOL. BTW has anyone else made flies using just a hot glue gun and some material.?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
If I am going to a remote location and need to "Tie on the Fly", I will usually have at least some needle nose Vise Grip pliers with me.

I will also have a small duffle bag with some extra materials and assorted threads.[cool]
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif] [font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Wouldn't vise grips work better? [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Ooooops! My bad. I thought I already said "needle nose vise grips" lol[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][blush]No my bad. Will have to repeat reading 101.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Can't really say I have gotten to the point of looking for outside sources. I generally pack my SHOW flytying kit on all my trips. It is about the size of a carry on suitcase so easy enough. Has a a little of all my material and hooks plus extras. Plus a mobile vise.
I have used a Leatherman tool for a vise before, worked for the case, but NOT a vise [laugh] Even used Elvis hair for a fly before (my dog Elvis)
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]You had me going there for a minute FGD for I thought Elvis was back in the house. LOL [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline Elvis_Presley_1970.jpg]
[signature]
Have you tried and "Baxter" patterns yet??? I bet he could sub for some of the Elk hair patterns although you might have to glue his hairs together from end to end.

I still can't get long enough hairs from my Miniature Pincher.[crazy]
[signature]