Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAINBOW FLATHEADS
[cool]Last weekend, when faced with a finesse fishing situation, I downsized my jig size and slowed my presentation. The result was a good catch of previously finicky yellow bass and some big channel cats.

The jigs were a variation of the assortment of "bait bugs" I use for almost everything. These were some experimental ones, made from 1/16 ounce jig heads, on small size 6 hooks...using a new color of the Darice "craft cord" I use in most of my jig creations these days. It is a light blue color, which becomes almost a translucent blue glow in the water. With the wraps of metallic rainbow material, it shimmers in a very appealing fashion.

Fishing these jigs is very much like fising with ice flies and small jigs through the ice. Mostly a vertical presentation. The deadliest technique is what I call a "shivver lift". After dropping the "sweetened" jiglet to the bottom, reel down until the rod tip is just above the water line. Keeping your wrist cocked for a strike, raise the jig up off the bottom in slow shivvering jigging motions. If a fish does not hit within a couple of feet off the bottom, pause briefly and let it sink back to the bottom on a tight line. Strikes can occur at any point. If the fish are sulking on the bottom, they will often rise up and pop the quivering jig as it appears to be getting away. Set the hook.

Here is a pic of two styles of the mini jiglets. One is made from a 1/16 oz "minnow" head, designed for tube jigs. When the barb is cut off, it weighs less than 1/16 oz and falls enticingly slowly. That was the one that worked best last week. The other style is the flattened head of a round 1/16 oz head, on the same size 6 hook. It is slightly heavier, and can be cast farther and fished faster...or in deeper water.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1886985.jpg]

The pic below is of the materials I use. The Darice craft cord is available in better hobby and craft stores...as is the thin rainbow metallic thread on the thin spool. The rainbow "sparkle braid" is available through Jann's Netcraft and other fly tying material outlets. This stuff is not expensive, but there are colors available that are absolutely deadly for many species of fish. They make some fantastic fly patterns too.

This scan did not do an adequate job of capturing the subtle blue color in the craft cord. I have been using a bright white/pearl for several years, for my white with hot red eye series. It will always be a staple in my lure boxes, but this new blue stuff has really surprised me...and some fishies too.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1898807.jpg]
[signature]