Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optimal Setup?
So for a while I was trying to catch pike on just lures and live bait without leaders or steel cable leaders, but I lose my gear almost every time. I know my brother who I take fishing from time to time brought in a 3 pound Pike without it biting his line off. I'm just curious as to what everyone reccomends for a setup. I've never caught a pike over 10lbs, but just shy of 10 pounds. I caught that particular fish by accident, one trebel hook caught the lip and one caught his head, so I got it in pretty easy.

I've been experimenting with those steel cable leaders becuase I haven't found a dealer of Tyger Leaders like you reccomended to me. I've found the 6" and the ones up to 24", but what could you reccomend a fairly inexperienced Pike fisherman? If you could include both Lures and hardware that'd be sweet! I'm not afraid to keep retying stuff becuase that's all I do anyway! My friends stand firm on using swivels but not me. I prefer to be practiced in knot tying unlike them lol. That's why I bring in more fish! Smile Please help me!
[signature]
I use 50# braid. I have only lost 1 musky with it and it was my fault. No steel leaders either.[Wink]
[signature]
I don't think WalMart carries any 50#, but maybe I can try a smaller steel leader? Do you think that having less weight as far as leaders goes would be better? I could always buy some 30lb test, and see how that works. Better performance I would guess. I'll just try some stuff when I go fishing tomorrow...Well, actually in 6 hours! Smile Since I"m up so darn late (early?)....
[signature]
The w-mart here does carry 50# power=pro braid and gorilla line. If you can't find either of those, try some of Cortlands tyable sst leader in like 20#. They sell that too.
[signature]
Oh okay, maybe I'm not looking hard enough? I'll check again. Smile I might just get some of those Tyger Leaders though too. I need to get a credit card or something so I can order stuff online.
[signature]