Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caddis Nav ll
New to this board and have read posts for hours. Great stuff! I used to "tube" a fair amount in a Buck's Hi and Dry; the 1st version. I recently got married again my my new wife loves to fish. So I'm looking. I've read here a lot about the different tubes, so I think I have a fair idea of what's out there and what most people like best. But I haven't seen a good disscusion on the Caddis Nav ll.
I'm sure they're not up to the standards of the Outcasts, but I ran across sierratraders that has them for $95. And if you're a 1st time customer, it's another 10% off. Pretty cheap.
I'm over 250#, so I would like something that can carry me. And price is important now. Otherwise I'd get a SFC.
So, anyone that owns or has owned a Nav ll, I'd love to hear some feedback. I know they're not the best, but for the money?
Thanks
Terry
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Hope you and your new (and improved) wife can get outfitted and launched soon. Tubing is a great shared sport. My wife (TubeBabe) and I have been tubing for longer than the 30 years of our marriage. Had to check her out in a tube before finalizing things.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Caddis line, as you have figured out, is not considered to be state of the art in terms of features and quality. But, it is a good place to start...especially if newlywed budgets are not that great yet. I have spent a lot of time in Caddis tubes, in my earlier years. They are a good buy.[/#0000ff][Image: nav2.jpg]
[#0000ff]While I have not fished from the Nav II, it does have a pretty good reputation in its price range. It is supposedly "oversize" to accomodate larger anglers so it should float your frame okay.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did own a Trout Unlimited Kennebec for awhile, and it was a similar design. My primary complaint was that the twin rounded pontoons made the craft difficult to maintain position when there was any kind of a breeze. I like the pointed end models, like the Fish Cats and Fat Cats, a lot better for dealing with breezes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck and let us know what you get and allow us to help you get it set up if you need it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have owned a Nav II before and used it for several years. It was useable and I caught a lot of fish from it. My main concerns (and why I now have a different tube) were the sling type seat which causes you to ride very low in the water and the mickey mouse air valves. They never caused me a problem but they certainly didn't inspire any confidence either. You'll do fine with it for fishing, but you won't break any speed records with your rear hanging in the water. I used a foam boat cushion set on the strap seat which helped get me up a little higher.

Any tube is much better than no tube, so don't hesitate if it's what you can afford. For what you mentioned as your budget, the only alternative might be to shop for one of the used Fat Cats or Super Fat Cats. They are very durable if you get one that hasn't been abused.

z~
[signature]
I own a TU Togiak and love it. I sit high and able to see well. I am over 265 and have had no issue with the tube. I bought it from Cabela's bargain basement for half price.

I have used it quite a bit got lots of fish. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Woody[fishin]
[signature]