Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with spincast reels
I bought a Daiwa MC 40, Daiwa US 40, Zebco 11, and an Abumatic 274 for a little fishing with my 4 grandchildren. The factory fill line was replaced with fresh Berkley Trilene XL 4# on the 2 Daiwa's and the Zebco. The Abumatic got Bass Pro Excel 8#.

After one day of fishing in a very large and very clean pond, I took the front cover off the reals to clean and inspect line laying. All 4 of these reels had a line groove cut into the rotor where the line comes over the front of the rotor at the pickup pin. The Abumatic also had a groove cut into the pickup pin. This was from one time use.

I called the companies and told of the problem. I was told that was a very unusual problem, not something that happened except with lots of heavy use. Daiwa and Zebco immediately sent out new rotors, Zebco actually sent 2. I am still talking with Abumatic.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with any spincast reel, I am teaching the kids to use open face spinning and will probably not use spincast again, still, I doubt that this is a problem created by my grand-kids.

Thanks for any information and/or suggestions.
[signature]
Spincast reel quality has gone down the toilet since I was a kid. I had a Zebco 33 that was 99% metal construction. The new ones are junk. The only Spincast reel I would even buy is the Zebco Omega, which is a $50 or $55 model.

If they can use a spinning reel without tying themselves up with the line, they'll be much better off.
[signature]
I bought a Johnson Century spincast reel for my little brother about 1972-73. He used it bass fishing in Florida for about 6 years. I can't imagine how many spools of the old Royal Bonnyl line we used on that reel. I lost my brother in 1981 and I still have that old reel. There is not even a smear on the spool.

I found some Shimano spinning reels that have a trigger, as it were, that opens the bail, picks up the line, and holds it until the cast. I think they can easily handle them.

The first spinning reel I used was an old Mitchel 300. I had line in my hair, my boots, my pockets, and in my lunch box.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif]Hey there FrankN4 I have a couple of different Shimano spin reel and they have never failed me. They must be over 20 years old.
[signature]
I don't think the original post is suggesting spinning reels are junky, just the closed-face spincasters.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Georgia"][#008000]Regarding the closed face spin reels like the Zebco, I bought a starter pole with a Zebco reel for my 7 yr old Grand Nephew [he was 5 then] and he can flip a jig pretty damn good. If anyone can mess up a reel it would be someone his age. Seems like ever product can have a lemon or two pass through their quality control system.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]