Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunnyside Advice
I'm heading up to Sunnyside (Wayne Kirch Wildlife) in a couple weeks for the first time for some float fishing. I've collected some pretty good advice from this forum and other places around the net. Any more current information would be appreciated.

My main questions are on weather (highs/low, wind) and the nearby campground facilities (toliets, potable water, fire pits, tables, etc). Anything anyone can tell me on those subjects?

Thanks in adavnce.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]I just got back from a trip to Sunnyside. Spent the 4th thru the 6th there (watch for my fishing report and some pics later tonight). The campsites are very basic but they include everything you mentioned. Each site has at least one table. The fire rings consist of circles of rocks that folks have gathered and maintained over the years. Some of the spots look to have barbeque grills but I never closely inspected those camp sites, instead staying in the campsites in the middle of the campground; these are the only sites with tress for any cover. There is a well pump that provides potable water and of course there is a typical outdoors type bathroom; I think they call those vault toilets? [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]We found highs in the low 80’s. It cooled quite a bit at night into the mid 40’s and mornings were very brisk till about 10:30 when it warmed up nicely again. So we ran the gamut from shorts and t-shirts in the afternoons to jeans and coats in the evenings. Speaking of evenings, if you plan on fishing late afternoons or early mornings bring a good bug repellent with DEET! Trust me. In both of my recent trips up there we found that the wind had a real knack for coming and going. It would be dead calm and then kick up pretty good for half hour to an hour and then it would go calm again. So pretty sporadic winds. We have had to deal with gusty conditions for at least part of the day every time I have been there. (Note there was no wind in Vegas during these times). Also there are no trash cans or dumpsters so be prepared to pack out all your trash. Any other question let me know. Tight lines! [/font]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Perfect! That's exactly what I needed. [/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2][/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Makes me think I need to bring an anchor for the float tube with all that wind. [/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]I'm looking forward to hearing about your recent trip. [/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Thank you very much.[/size][/font]
[signature]
An anchor is a good idea if your tubin it. We were in my little jon boat and just moved to the dam and drifted north across the lake, but without the help of a trolling motor, an anchor is the way to go.
[signature]