Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line strength- Jordan River
Have enjoyed finding this forum and learning from all of you. I had been looking for a good spot to go fishing this year and hit up some community ponds with no success. I hit up the Jordan River (South Salt Lake Area) and have pulled out some fun fish of a variety of species.

Yesterday I got a hold of something quite large and it snapped my line and almost broke my bass pole in two. So I stopped at the store and got a new pole.

My question is, what type of line would you recommend for fishing the Jordan River and it's native species? I bought 15 lb. I don't know if that's overkill, but I don't want the next one to get away. The pole I got is rated 8-15lb, so I assume I'm ok. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Anybody else having luck on the Jordan right now?
[signature]
Welcome to BFT, glad that you joined and made your first post. I would think that 15 pound is on the top side of what one would need to land a fish on The Mighty Jordan River. The reason that one might require such heavy line would be because the fish is going to be able to swim to an area that it could get wrapped around vegetation or whatever else one might find in there and break off; otherwise, a properly set drag should keep any fish from breaking off.
[signature]
I guess I'm having to educate myself some on catching fish. I used to always go with my dad and never caught anything so big that I actually had lighten the drag and "fight" the fish to keep him from snapping the line. In fact, all I've every really fished for is trout, so this is new to me. I guess I learned the hard way. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
[quote matimeo] I used to always go with my dad and never caught anything so big that I actually had lighten the drag and "fight" the fish to keep him from snapping the line. [/quote]

Loosen the drag a little and let it do its job. It is a valuable tool. You need to hook a sturgeon and then you will quickly learn how valuable the drag is on a reel.
[signature]
Another side benefit of properly using your drag is that you can catch more fish by using lighter line. Fish don't see or feel lighter line as easily as heavy line and you will be able to detect bites more easily. Lighter line is easier to cast and is less likely to tangle. I try to fish with as light of line as I can get away with. When fishing for trout I use 4 pound most of the time and occasionally use 6 pound test line. When I go after the kitties I will usually go with something a little heavier, only because where I often fish for them the catfish have a tendency to get tangled around the vegetation. My problem is that I grew up fishing with bait from the shore and I am having a hard time breaking the habit of setting the hook with my entire arm. If I break off a fish it is usually during an over-exuberant hook set, or because I have caught several fish and haven't taken the time to retie.
[signature]
I had 6 lb on my line, so I don't think there was much I could have done with this fish- he probably would have broken it anyway. Great advice. Thanks.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT, you'll love this site. As to line strength, here's my two cents. I've fallen in love with the 10 lb. test high tech braids like Spiderwire or Berkeley Fireline. They are more expensive but for my money, well worth it. The small diameter lets them cast beautifully and the minimal stretch lets you detect a bite a lot better plus you get a better hookset. Ya gotta pay attention to the knots you use ( follow the suggestions on the line package ) or they'll slip. Try it, I'll bet you'll like it.

Pay attention to Kentofins suggestions on setting the drag too. I usually have mine a little on the light side and can crank it up a little if I need to.
[signature]