Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11 Mile Res..... Salmon
Anyone have any info on the schooling of the Salmon in 11 Mile Res yet?
[signature]
I haven't heard anything yet. I think it will be a pretty dismal run. It sounds like the gill lice infestation wiped out virtually all age classes last year.
[signature]
according to chapparall park general store you wont see and schools for at least the next 2 to 3 years.
[signature]
So do we think it will even be worth trying this year?
[signature]
[quote Catfishgitter]So do we think it will even be worth trying this year?[/quote]

Not from what I hear. This is what Larry has posted for the kokanee salmon report on the 11 Mile Sports website this week:

"KOKANEE SALMON: POOR: The dismal reality is that the Gill Lice have decimated the catchable Kokanee. Its not that you can't catch one or two but most folks won't no matter how hard you try. The numbers just must not be there. We have seen some smaller ones starting to show up. Hopefully last years stocking are coming of age and will remain Gill Lice free and be ready for ice fishing"
[signature]
and this is in relation to 11 Mile specifficly?
[signature]
yup. save the money and go to blue mesa. its almost prime time for there.
[signature]
for the snagging? Thats usually all I do for them. I don't have a boat.
[signature]
[quote Catfishgitter]for the snagging? Thats usually all I do for them. I don't have a boat.[/quote]

They will hit a bright pink fly or spinner. Why not fish for them that way? A heck of a lot more sporting, if you ask me.
[signature]
save your time and money go to the western slope and fish the gunnison, and east rivers... but be careful, here is the word for word law:

From East and Taylor rivers downstream to standing water line of Blue Mesa Res., including tributary
canals and diversions:
a. Taking kokanee prohibited Aug. 1-Oct. 31.
b. Snagging kokanee permitted Nov. 1-Dec. 31.

East river:
East River - Gunnison County
From upstream boundary at Roaring Judy SFU downstream to Taylor River:
a. Artificial flies only.
b. Bag and possession limit and min. size for trout is 2 under 12 inches long.
c. Taking kokanee prohibited.
From Roaring Judy Hatchery outlet downstream to Roaring Judy SFU boundary:
a. Fishing prohibited Aug. 1-Oct. 31.
[signature]
shizzle, i forgot to add something. im not sure how its being handled but you could try Cheesman! it was closed because of the fire, so im not sure if its even open. but you are allowed to snag kok's there, and its alot closer then blue mesa.
[signature]
Cheeseman is open again.
[signature]
Went last sunday,,, snagged 5, nice 22 inch 4 lb male , saw a dozen or so get caught, they had some gill damage but were for the most part healthy !! got there at 7am left at noonish,, goin again soon,,, like,,, friday,,, cant wait,,, oh by the way snagged em at the boat dock, didnt get a chance to go to sucker cove but will friday !!
[signature]
Was this at 11 Mile? If so, those are about the only kokes I've heard of from 11 Mile this year.
[signature]
he said sucker cove..... so yea that sounnds like 11 mile. only thing that sounds odd is that he snagged them near the dock. when was a dock put in at sucker cove?

and this sounds like the first and only koks comming from 11 mile that i know of.
[signature]
dang guys pay attention to what you read,,,, i said i didnt get a chance to go over to suckercove,,,, i caught them at the boat dock !!! I am goin again thursday night until friday ill update again,,,, READ CAREFULLY,,,,
[signature]
well, left about 10pm thursday night, got to the boat dock, no action, went to sucker cove, no action, back to the boat dock 330am, slept till 5am, started snaggin,, slammed 3 right away then off and on till noonish, left with a total of 6, two small males and two large males two large females, the small ones were the size of the ones ya get out of cheeseman,, like 12 inchers, {guppys},,,
missed some more, lost one,
[signature]
Went to 11 mile saturday early am,,,, nothing at the boat dock,,, went to spinny caught a small pike and a 17 incher,,, released the 17 and headed to antero,,, caught 4 keepers (4 lbs each} now its about 3 pm,,, went back to the boat dock at 11 mile and caught 4 kokes,,, was a good day,,, windy but good day fishin,,,, [fishin]
[signature]
before i post what i have called around and asked about, please dont take this as an attack in anyway, shape, or form.

i called chapparell general store from here in iraq and was able to talk for about 10 minutes before i called my dad. he says he has heard of no one else catching any koks out of 11 mile for 2 years now. he and the dwr biologist say that the entire population was wiped out from the gill lice infection. he also said that 400,000 kok fry were released in the platte.

if this is the case, are you 100% positive your catching kok's and not some rainbows (sorry i have to ask). if you are indeed catching kok's like this could you please post some pictures, as so far this year you are the only person able to catch them out of 11 mile. only reason i would even think they are around the boat dock is because of the little stream that flowws into that bay, where as most of the koks just run up the dream stream.

again please dont take this as me calling you a liar by any way, i am not. i just dont know how else to explain things.
[signature]
[quote kochanut]
if this is the case, are you 100% positive your catching kok's and not some rainbows (sorry i have to ask). if you are indeed catching kok's like this could you please post some pictures, as so far this year you are the only person able to catch them out of 11 mile. only reason i would even think they are around the boat dock is because of the little stream that flowws into that bay, where as most of the koks just run up the dream stream.

[/quote]

I'm not a kokanee snagger, so I could be wrong, but don't they historically stock kokanee in that north boat ramp cove? It seems to me I remember hearing of people snagging there in past years.
[signature]