Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crab fishing california
Hi there!
Well crab fishing season is about to start, I will be fishing from imperial beach pier, but I don't know if I could use a round trap for crabs or does it have to be a hoop net, like lobster fishing, they only allow hoop nets, is this the same for crabs, fishing from the pier? hope to hear from you, thnk you!
[signature]
Crab fishing is open all year. I think you might be referring to the Lobster season. That will be open in about 1 month.

Crab or Lobster, the round hoop nets are the only thing allowed unless you have a commercial license.

Good luck. Imperial beach is a good spot for some the warmer water crabs.

Need any good pointers or tips? We can take this to the Cali board. [cool]
[signature]
One more thing.

Fishing from the pier does not require a license. Fishing for Crab or Lobster from anywhere does.[cool]
[signature]
Thnak you, do you think that walmart sells fishing licence?
[signature]
Some of the Wallmarts do and some don't. You can also go to some of the tackle shops in the area or to one of the fishing landings.
[signature]

I was reading that for dungenes crab they have a season time, for fishing them.
[signature]
Ooohhhh ok. The Dungenes crab is available after Oct 31st. You can still catch the Spider Crab, Red Crab, Rock Crab, Ghost Crab, Fidler Crab, Blue Crab and Kelp Crab all year long.

I wouldn't anticipate finding many of the Dungenes down in that area. The water is generally too warm. They hardly migrate south of Santa Barbara.

I crab fish a lot in Santa Barbara area. I might get 1 Dungenes crab out of 300 Rock Crabs in the net. Even at that, the Dungenes is too small to keep and has to go back.

If you are planning on waiting for the opening of Dungenes Crab to start with the hoop nets, I would go for Lobster at that time. You can keep 7 of them at legal size. You will be able to keep 30 Rock or Red Crab of legal size.[cool]
[signature]
i have a protoco crab trap. would that be okay to use at a san francisco pier or would i need a license?..what is a round hoop net..heres a link of the trap that i have..i dont want to get caught using it and get fined..thanks
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_018190&id=0019661016146a"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_018190&id=0019661016146a[/url]
[signature]
Those are fine for Crab. You are going to measure them anyways. Any fishing from a Pier, with exception of 3 in California, do not require a fishing license.

The rule changes only when you are going Crabbing. You must have valid Cali fishing license to use a crab trap or to go for Lobster even from a pier.

In So Cal we cannot use those because of the Lobster. We must use the open ring type of trap so that they have a chance to escape.[cool]

By the way, Welcome aboard and don't forget to visit the Cali board too.
[signature]
thank's for tip
[signature]
alright cool..rite on bro..thanks alot
[signature]
Northern California crab fishing has a romantic ring to it. Heading out to the open sea with the salty wind in your face in a cozy boat to drop your little crab pots -- then returning to the sea a few days later to collect your loot. Sounds like an adventure and not much like work.
===========================================
Peter
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
[url "http://4thdimension1@gmail.com"]4thdimension1@gmail.com [/url]
[signature]
It does sound fun and it is. There are some nice California King Crabs. They are just a smaller cousin to the Alaskan King Crab. Just as tasty.[cool]
[signature]