Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring a spare
Had a nice salmon on yesterday while wadding in the Bear River in Petoskey. It swam around me 2 times, pealing line off both upstream and down. It was a good 10 minute fight and to be honest my arm was getting a bit tired.

It seemed as though the fish might be getting tired as well because I saw it FINALY surface about 15 feet in front of me. I reached around and grabbed my net and stuck it in the water. Well.... as you might have guessed the fish didn't like that at all and went screaming downstream towards what was about a foot drop in the river with a small log over top of it. I knew if it got down that far and went under the log I'd loose it for sure. So I tightened the drag more than I would have normaly but fish didn't really seem to care what the drag was set at and continued to make it's run towards the dropoff. (Did I tell you that it was a nice one?)

About a foot away from going under the log I wound up and pulled back hard. That's when I heard something snap. With what must have been a huge shake from it's head the line spool and half of reel snapped off. The only part of the reel that was still attached to the rod was what I was holding in my hand and now the spool was stuck up against the first eye of the rod and bending it forward.

I looked downstream in just enough time to see the fish roll over the dropoff in the river and under the log. I was going to cut the line with my knife but didn't get a chance as the line went slack as it broke off under the log after a few seconds.

So now I'm 3 hours from home, standing in the middle of the river with a broken reel and a bent eye on the rod. Fishing is over right?

Nope.

I walk back up to by truck and get the spare (aka my wifes rod n reel) and go back to fishing.

(This is the moral of the story part)
Some of these fish are monsters and put up some huge fights. They can and will do some damage at times. Be sure to bring an extra rod and reel. You never know when your going to need it.

Hope you enjoyed the story. It's 100% true and could happen to you someday so be sure to bring along a spare (espically if your 3 hours from home).

Mike
[signature]