Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike and Muskie
Hello everyone, I just moved to Virginia from Utah and I am Sad to see how little people actually post on here from Virginia. I am looking for some information on good spots to fish in Northern Virginia for some pike or muskie. Any help on good locations or technique would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Feel free to send me a PM if you do not wish to share with everyone.
[signature]
I moved to Utah from Alaska, and to Virginia from Utah. I fish all the time around the DC metro area. As for pike. I hear allot about the Shannandoha River between Fort Royal and Harpers Ferry. Absolutely gorgeous area. I've done some crazy pike fishing in Alaska and am egger to try some here.
I just haven't gotten around to it because of all the other species around here. I'm going after 80 pound catfish on the James River this week and I tend to go after sharks, stripers, and blue fish whenever I have enough time to really go fishing all day.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Luke. I will have to look into the Shenandoah River. That is cool that you lived in Utah. Did you ever get to fish Pineview, Newton, Yuba, or Redmond? I used to fish for Tiger Muskie in Pineview and Newton. I fished for Pike in Yuba and Redmond. They sure were tons of fun. I hear ya about all the different species here. I don't know where to start other than my past favorites which are the toothy pike and walleye. Thanks for the info. I am going to also check out Burke Lake. I hear that there are Muskie there.
[signature]
If you want muskies too, the New River in the very south west of Virginia is where the state record muskie come out of. There are a few canoe rental places down there where you can float the river and fish.

As for Utah, I was in Provo and never went fishing too much outside of Utah County. I spent most of my time at Utah Lake and Salem Lake going for bass and catfish.

Growing up in Alaska I though a 10 inch bass was a much bigger novelty than a 18 inch trout. I always meant to try Yuba lake though.

I'll tell you what though. If you ever go to Alaska, go pike fishing. Pike are a junk fish in Alaska so hardly anyone fishes for them. For $75/per person you can hire a float plane to take you to Alexander lake near Talkeetna AK. They drop you off and give you a key to their boats and pick you up in the afternoon. The Pike fishing is insane.

First time I went I caught 83 in 6 hours all with top water lures. They averaged about 40 inches but the bigger ones would pull the 8 foot Jon Boat around. Everyone in our group lost their pliers and we went home with bloody fingers but had a great time.
[signature]
That sounds like an absolute blast. I will mark that down as one of my future travel destinations. I can definitly relate to bloody fingers from pike. I hade one from Yuba slice my thumb up really bad. There was blood everywhere in the boat since I was fighting to get control of him in the boat. Thanks for the info on the lake. I might have to make a trip with my dad to Alaska!
[signature]
I was born in Utah but grew up in Virginia. I've had some success fishing for Musky at Burke, especially in the spring time. I've caught them on spinnerbaits and bucktails fished really shallow. You can send me a private message if you want to fish with me.
Tom
[signature]
If you're still on here and still in Virginia, I can put you on muskellunge in southwestern Virginia (not the New River). I need to get up to NOVA and chase pike, we have very few of them down here...
[signature]