Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing the 3/4 day Pierpoint 5/14

Hey there guys,

I went out on the 3/4 day open party boat Pierpoint yesterday. (May 14) The Pierpoint is out of Pierpoint landing in Long Beach, located in Rainbow Harbor, just across from the Queen Mary.

We made a good 6am start with a really light load. (around 10 guys) Jimmy skippered, while Mikie, the more than a little famous 'Breakfast Burrito King' took care of the grill and helping out on deck and tank.

Next stop after the boat slip was the bait reciever where we got some good chum bait and some absolutely killer ANCHOVIES you could have put Saddles on! No kiddin' nice 5 inchers then some 8 and 9 inchers! Reports on the barracuda catches for the local boats weren't too bad the last few days for the boats south of Palo Verde so, that was our target area was for the day. No Catalina Island! Sniff, Sniff!

To make a short story very long, we fished around the Horseshoe, then further south near Huntington, then back up a bit, then around, but not near the rigs, then........ You get the idea. Jimmy tried big time to get the fish but the water was the nastiest i.e. dirtiest I've seen it in a while, except for maybe the San Gabriel river around PCH during peak storm warnings!

There were a few barracuda landed, mostly jig fish and otherwise the pickins were slim. Everyone had waaaaaaay light loads... as to be expected with the water and uncertain weather conditions. Most of the morning was dang cold but it did start to warm around 2 in the afternoon or so.

Lot's of fishing buddys (for the most part) and familar regulars on the boat make for a fun time whether a bunch of fish are caught or not.

After what seemed like a long drought, Jimmy pulled the hook, after actually getting it in, and we found ourselves off loading at the dock a little past 4pm.

I stand corrected on one point as dh tubinaaron pointed out. The Victory slayed 'em. Thanks guy.

Can't say we didn't try.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey Ron

The VICTORY had 85 cuda for 9 people!!![cool]

Aaron
[signature]

Hey dh tubinaaron,

You're right, thanks for the heads up. I just edited my post to give credit where credit is due. They musta hung out and got them in the late afternoon bite after we left. All three of us (Pierpoint, Enterprise and Victory) seemed to be doing NOTHING in the couple of hours we were fishing in the same Bolsa Chica outside area. That's fishin' dude. And the boats slayed them again yesterday too. Good Grief!!!!

Appreciate you watchin' my back.

JapanRon
[signature]
Cant you make an exception and fish on the Victory on Sunday, just once????[Wink]

Aaron
[signature]

Hey there dh tubinaaron,

I could if I thought there was a chance of having only ten guys on the boat, all of them regulars and we could gamble on a long shot trip with killer bait.

Don't be hatin' on my fishin' habits dude! The Victory will always have a good size load on Sunday and now that the barries are chompin' real good, that boats gonna have a load I'm sure. Crowded boats are not for me. I'm selfish.

I also personally don't like having to go to places that probably have been hammered pretty hard by the Friday and Saturday rides, heck that's why I don't usually go out on Mondays. (no offense to the skipper on this one)

Lastly, I don't like being on a boat with a lot of guys that fish two or three times a year and only when they think they're going to just be there and catch fish. And if they don't...... Oh brother! Hey, it only takes one guy!

I ain't no snob, I just stay out of trouble. Like Dirty Harry said 'Do ya feel lucky punk?' My answer is 'Who me? NO!' ha ha

Catch ya later.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there sawdustbob and family,

Lucky Puppies! Good choice on the 21st and 23rd, they're being weekdays. The load should be relatively light, which means you'll receive more attention by the crew. Now to some questions you posed and some other advice I can give.

1) The Missionbelle and San Diego are both 3/4 day/Mexico boats, 5:30am to 5:00pm. Your Mexico license is included.
2) Get reservations, if you haven't, and re-confirm them for both days on Tuesday.
3) Be at the ticket office very, very early to be in line, if that's there system, as it is usually first come first serve on the primo rail spots for the morning.
4) Make double sure they have your, if that's what you're getting, 1 day licenses set aside. Sometimes landings run out of the 1 day ones.
5) Bait will be supplied by the boat but it doesn't hurt to ask. Anchovies, sardines and live, fresh dead or frozen squid is often supplied.
6) Tackle is 12 bucks an outfit, usually with your choice of either spinning or conventional. You may have to have your ID made a hostage for this.
7) Take your seasick stuff an hour or so before getting on board.
8) Seaforth has a beautiful tackle store so they'll steer you right. Buy extra hooks and sinkers. If you have any iron (metal saltwater jigs) bring 'em just in case. Got any Tady's or Salis, Ironman jigs.
9) Carolina rig and fly lining a live bait are the main two ways to fish.
10) Hope to catch yellowtail, barracuda, and bass.

My computer is acting up so I'll close for now and will continue with 10 more hints later today.

Regards,

JapanRon
[signature]
thanks for the reply, we have reservations for both days, have reels with 20,30 and 50 lb line lots of hooks and sinkers, not much for iron just some that we use for wipers up here, we need to get on the pier about one hour early? Ill get the rest of your report later thanks
[signature]

Hey there sawdustbob,

Having fished stripers and having the basic outfits is a great start. Hope the line is nice and fresh for those 25lb yellows. Sounds like you kinda know the routine. If you haven't been to the landing before, and have the time, I'd go check it out if they were open. I must admit, I am an absolute nut about getting the spot on the rail for at least the morning or first rotation if there is such a system on the boat. If they don't rotate, my advice to you is to for sure get there at least an hour before the ticket office opens instead of before the boat leaves. So if you are the first ones there! ha ha

If it were me I'd be there 2 hours before the office opens.(I'm a nut and normal people don't do that and I hope you don't)

What have you planned to do with the fish? The boat may not allow you to put a cooler on board so.......

Check out their stuff in the tackle shop anyway and compare what you've got with what they're usually selling.

It's hot out there right now but as long as you've got your motion sickness stuff, water and sun block you outta keep the old machine maintained.

Give me a yell, if you have access to a terminal while in SD. Good luck to you all.

JapanRon
[signature]