Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Tray for Super Fat Cat
I saw these trays at IKEA in Salt Lake and latched onto a couple. They're very rigid and work great on the SFC. I used the band saw to trim off a little from each side, and it fits perfectly. It comes with metal legs to be used as a bed/chair tray but they slip right off and the remaining holes are in the perfect place to tie the small ropes to secure it to the tube. It looks loose in the photo but when I get in the tube, the sides of the tube come together a little and it fits perfectly. I used short ropes with spring clips to fasten it to the tube while launching. BTW, the coffee mug was actually full of nightcrawlers. That's my next project - - something to put those nasty crawlers and carp meat in when it's hot enough out there to bake them. Any ideas on that?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great idea from the "Icky" store. I have tried quite a few different things over the years, including TV trays, dish rack trays, plexiglas sheets, etc. They all work...some better than others.

I am attaching a couple of pics I took on the last trip to Starvation, with LloydE, showing his "deep dish" tray made from the bottom of a plastic storage container. We used 1/2" PVC running through the top of the tray as a stabilizer bar and to hold the length of stretch cord that holds it in place. We put carabiner clips on the ends of the stretch cord and attach them to large split rings fitted into holes drilled at the ends of the stabilizer bars for the "outrigger" rod holders. Since Outcast left off the D rings when they went to their new apron design, you need something to make that attachment. It looks like you got an earlier model that still has those rings.

You are on the right track with the coffee mug. You definitely need an insulated container to keep your bait from "going south" on a warm day...or from freezing on a cold day.

I have a vast collection of small insulated containers of different sizes and shapes (well, maybe half vast). These are designed for soup or for keeping individual drinks either cold or warm. They are available cheap in Savers, DI stores and yard sales. I simply put the bait in them, without ice, for short sessions in mild conditions. If it is going to be warm, and I plan to be on the water awhile, I use a larger container and slip in a package of frozen "artificial ice" gel to keep them cool longer. I wrap that in a layer or two of napkin to keep the worms from freezing if they come in direct contact with it. You can also wrap a couple of ice cubes in a STURDY small plastic bag and tie it well to prevent water leakage.

If you have room in the pockets, you can keep your bait containers there. If not, you can keep them in a dry bag or small plastic container behind the seat. Keep them from sloshing in the water. Even a "tightly closed" bait container can leak and ruin your bait.

I put my bait containers either in the refrigerator or the freezer the night before a trip, to help keep them chilled a bit longer. Just be sure to wash them out thoroughly after each trip and keep them somewhere that other family members will not use them for their original intended use...food or drink.

[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD, Just a question, isn't the edge right in front of the body a little hard on the arms? I know you probably sanded it smooth, But, that lip still looks like it could cause some problems. I have actually cut things with a wedge of plastic the thickness of that lip.
Just asking.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The picture was for Lloyd's apron. He is still working on finding out what works best for him. It was his original design.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My "sushi board" has a lip in the front, but is flat at the rear and along the last half of the sides. It is completely out of the way and I never notice it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You are right about not leaving any sharp edges...and plastic can cut as deep as a steel blade if you hit it wrong. I use my little Dremel tool to round and smooth all edges before it goes on my tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, as we have both found, any little rough spot or protrusion will grab your line...messing up casts and potentially costing you a fish...or worse.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a pic of one of your favorite fish on my current model apron. You can see the flat rear portion somewhat.[/#0000ff]

[signature]