Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you rate the DWR???
Well I give them a 10 for trout but a -10 or very bad on warm water fisherys...

And this is why..

1. Yuba for one lake, when Yuba went bad they let it set for at least 3 years before they did anything...

2 deer creek the perch, bass, walleye fishing in very bad...

Please say why you rate them how you do....
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I give them a 10+. I think they accomplish and maintain alot given their limited funds and manpower. The only thing I would ask is to see more strict wildlife law enforcement, as well as better action on this Zebra/Quagga Mussel issue. However, I do understand that neither is completely within their "realm" of control. [Smile][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I am really happy that the State of Utah has wildlife plates available. I think it is a good way to gain some extra funds. I am sure the DWR had a great deal to do with convincing the State to put in place such a program.[/#000000][/font]
[signature]
Rate a 5 they have alot of problems with limited resources and manpower.
[signature]
Re: "2 deer creek the perch, bass, walleye fishing in very bad..."

How is it the DWR's fault that some dimwit bucket biologist decided to put walleyes in there? Before that happened, DC was a superb perch and bass fishery, even with the water drawdown issues.

While they are not perfect by any means, the DWR does a good job in doing a very difficult task with limited resources. I think the warmwater management is going to be fine, especially with the new hatchery.
[signature]
I rate them a solid 7.5! They have too much to deal with, with a limited amount of cash, but i think they could do more to enforce and protect what we do have. I have been involved with some recent developments(which i care not to discuss with anybody at this point) and they have been 100% involved and very helpful on it. We all need to do our part to help them out. Be a second set of eyes and ears. 2 guys covering 500 sq miles or more is a tough gig. They need help. So overall i think they are doing great aside from being under-funded.[Wink]
[signature]
I give 5 when it come to enforcing regulations I know there shorthanded which all never understand. Utah knows Outdoor recreation is a multi-million dollar cash cow but yet they never budget enough for extra rangers ??? Outdoor recreation is what attracts people to utah [laugh]

7 when it some to managing trout fishers. New accommodations like bathrooms, paved roads and access to local water is definitely getting better
[signature]
haveing the oppertun ity to live all over the place i rate them a +100! compare them to some of the other states i have been in, New Mexico to name one of the worst i have seen. example: fishing the cimmaron river near Eagles Nest, blue ribbon water. i catch one of the biggest nicest browns i have ever seen in my life. i am allowed to keep one fish over 22 inches, so i decide to keep it and watch some other guys fishing. these guys catch upwards of 15 trout a piece. game warden comes over, checks my fish and tells me he is fineing me because the rules changed a month ago and all torut have to be over 24inches now. i think ok, no big deal my bad ill pay the fine and be on my way. he then procedes to the other two guys fishing right down from me. i hear one of them yell "Dave! hows it going!" the warden then checks there catch ( all of which are extremely smaller then what i caught) and then says "You guys will be eating good tonight!" i thought, no way that happaned! on my way home i stopped at a fly shop and asked about it. apperantly if you "know people" around there you can ghet away with anything. what a crock, and a 55 dollar crock too! i will say that was the most expensive, yet tastiest brwon tout i have ever eaten!
[signature]
I agree with Line Dangler. If you want to help out with funding some of these projects purchase a wildlife plate. I purchased the fishing plate hoping the extra funds find their way to building a better warm water fishery and low and behold we are getting one a new hatchery!!!!

I would give the DWR a 7+ overall and a 5 when it comes to warm water fisheries in the north end. The south end with Lake Powell and Sand Hollow are 10's. Wayne does a great job for Lake Powell !!!!!!!
[signature]
I gotta give DWR a 9+. With what funding they have they do a pretty good job. I'd go 10 if they'd get a little further away from the rainbow trout mentality and not be so hung up on their protocols. ie. If it's obvious to even a dumba-- like me, change the regs. immediately instead of waiting until the action is too little too late like the Yuba perch issue. I gotta give the legislature a 2 for their fine funding for the DWR, fully realizing that they have a whole lot of other funding issues to deal with. Now, to us fishermen, I gotta say as a whole we can't scrape by even a 1. Too many of us trash our landscape, too many others don't give enough of a damn to try & clean up after the TRASH that trashes the place or call them on their practices - or - report them. Same way with poachers. If we don't care enough to report them, we got no bitch coming. Lastly, don't howl about license price increases. Howl like he-- if ALL the money doesn't go to DWR though.
[signature]
Im not going to rate them and here is why, There is so mutch diversity in utah that nobody can get a handle on everything all the time From lake powell to the high mountian lakes,droughts and irrigation issues , lack of funding, local goverment that really dosent care. I think that they do the best with what they have to work with . Thats my two cents worth on the fisheries side... Law enforcement? Yea the keystone cops could do a better job. Sorry I guess I rated them afterall
[signature]