Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
circle hooks
i heard the fish hook themselves what kind of bait do i use with a circle hook and is there a certain way to set the hook i will be fishing for cat fsih
[signature]
Circle hooks are supposed to set the hook themselves when the fish closes its jaw, I have never used them for cats though. I usually use trebles but have been reading a lot on these boards about using them with shrimp in a carolina setup and sounds like it could be fun. Only time i have used circle hooks they were 6's when jaw hooking golden roaches for bass fishing.
[signature]
When cat fishing I use a circle hook with cut bait. I like to use sucker cut into one inch chunks. Circle hooks are great.
[signature]
I use circle's 90% of the time with cut bait. I prefer to use kahles with live bait though. Just remember NOT to set the hook. That was the hardest part of switching to circles.
[signature]
I use them when I'm fishng off my pole rig in the boat for cats. They work famously, I know a lot of people cry about them and how they suck, but it's because the delivery technique is a little different. I haven't had much experience fishing with a retrieval pattern, but with a running bite,such as a catfish. You basically pick up the pole and start reeling lol, it is hard to not set the hook though,but after a few good lost cats, you'll quickly learn.[Wink]
[signature]
Circle hooks (or self-seting hooks) are among my favorite hooks to use when using bait or live bait. As the fish bite down on the hook the curved tip punctures the fish therefore setting the hook with the help of the fish's appetie.
[signature]
Circle hook don't has this function. The fish hook themselves because of the sinker & the weight of the rod. When you through the bait out, let the sinker bring the bait down, set the line straight then put you rod on the hanger. Remember, the top of the rod must be down (see the picture). When the fish eat the bait, the sinker & the weight of the rod will do this function.
This is a very common technique that all pro & amateur fishermen know in my place.

P.S. this technique is good for the new fish only but for the old fish which is catch & release, it is no use.
[signature]
any bait will work ..you dont set the hook with a circle hook the hook sets it self with normal presure...if you set the hook you will rip it out of ther mouth..
[signature]