Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is Zonker....
I wonder how everything went?
[signature]
Hey BGMan,

This is zonker. I made it through the surgery. (Feel kinda like a gutted fish.) Six days in the hospital. Two days at home so far. I go back to the doctor for an update evaluation in about 30 minutes. I'll try to keep you guys and gals posted if you like.

God bless.

z~
[signature]
[Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]
Praying that it going great.
Haven't done any tubing for a month and I wanna do it one more time this coming Sunday before it gets a little colder around Illinois but my buddy wanted me along with him picking up his new bow for bowhunting and needs me...maybe I can do a little when I get back home....let's see.
Good to hear that your doing pretty well.
[Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]
[signature]
Uncle Z, glad you made it through the surgery ok, please keep us posted.

AT
[signature]
Guys,

I got an email from Dave (Zonker). He is at home and the surgery seems to have gone well. Dave is hurtin' but he is able to eat and bodily functions have normalized. Keep praying for him.
God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Z,

glad to hear you got thru the surgery and are starting on the mend.. and yes.. I for one would like updates as you feel up to it..

you are still in my thought and prayers.. hang in there my friend ..ya gots lots of good people on your side..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Good to hear you're home with the first step already done.
I hope the follow up checks indicate it was successful.
Keep in touch when you can.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Wow. Some people will do anything to lose weight. (Joke)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Happy to hear you are past the first part. Hope everything progresses smoothly and that you can look forward to fishing in the future.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All the best to ya, Z.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Guys,

Dave is recovering nicely from the operation to remove his kidney but he is still fighting a big battle with that stinkin' disease. He needs our prayers big time.

He is keeping me informed through email and I don't want to intrude on his privacy by posting all the details on a public forum; but if you could take some time to talk to the Lord about our friend Zonker I would be truly grateful.

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Don,

Zonk has not been out of my thoughts or prayers since he first posted his situation.. when you email him next please let him know that he has a lot of people in his corner...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Dave (Zonker) needs our prayer support ladies and gentlemen.

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Hi guys,

I checked in this morning and discovered you were still talkin' about me so at the risk of wearing you out with a bunch of details no one really likes to hear, I'll give you a brief update. If mentioning mortality bothers you, just close the window. I understand.

The kidney removal surgery went fairly well, though I had a pretty rough time in the hospital. Finally got things working again, though, so now it has been just over three weeks since I went under the knife. I'm recovering a little more each day. I'm walking four miles daily (I was a walker before so that isn't really that much for me). Nights are still painful as I have to sleep only on my back, which gets pretty old. Doctors expect that I should return to the level of health I had before the surgery, which was pretty good. I certainly could go fishing when I wanted to before all this showed up, so that gives me something to look forward to.

Now the tougher part. The doctors have told me that this kidney cancer, which I also have in my lungs and perhaps other places not yet detected, is basically incurable. It does not respond to chemo like some cancers. There is only one "cure" that is supposedly effective in 5% of the cases, but it in itself can take your life. The patient has to be in ICU for 10 days just to stay alive. They call it the "cure from Hell." I'm still giving that one a lot of cautious thought.

Apparently there are three new FDA approved drugs on the market that have been successful at slowing the growth of this type of cancer, offering the potential for some extended life - perhaps even as much as 4 or 5 years under ideal circumstances. These treatments are what my doctors are recommmending. Some nasty side effects, but supposedly they will pass. There is also a very remote chance (1%) that my body will fight off the cancer itself with the "primary" source removed. And, of course, as a Christian minister for the past 30 years, I understand that there is sometimes the possiblity of divine intervention, which would suit me just fine. If that happened I think you guys in Utah and Idaho and even SoCal would hear me whooping it up all the way from Oregon. I will trust God though, whether that happens or not.

I'm learning to appreciate every day more than I did before. Watching fishing shows on TV makes me wish I could get out. Maybe things will work out that I can.

Thanks for the concern some of you have expressed. I appreciate it very much. The toughest part of suffering can be the feeling of being alone and forgotten. (Sorry, that's a pretty raw admission, but that is really the way it seems.) My church has pledged to continue my salary in my absence and is also picking up all of our insurance premium payments, so we're well cared for in that area.

As I've expressed before, this forum has given me much enjoyment and I consider many of you to be my friends, though we've never met. If I were to pass on advice I would tell you all to know your God, appreciate every day you have, and express your love for your spouse, your parents, your kids, and all those around you that mean more to you than you may know at the moment.

I'll keep in touch, and probably will enjoy fishing through some of the descriptions of your trips on this forum for awhile.

z~

[signature]
Hi Z
It's nice to see you posting again.
Sounds like you're on a very tough trip with many moments of reflection. But that's definitely a major step that you have completed.
And it's great to hear you are "up and about" so soon after it.
I assume the fly tying is going on at home with all those gaps in the fly boxed re-filled?
Good luck and best wishes
[signature]
Zonker,

Good to see you up and about and posting again... I for one have missed you insight and down to earth advice..

... sorry to hear that the next step is gonna be a tough one.. but as you say it is friends and family.. and faith in God that gives a person the strength they need in rough times.. you being a minister know that more than most..
I have another good friend who I keep giving the same advice when she gets overwhelmed with work, church, and life in general..

.. take it all one step at a time.. keep your priorities.. trust in God.. and take it all one step at a time.. :-)

please keep us posted as things ... you have family and friends here that are pulling for you and praying for you and your quick return to good health..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Hey zonker you probably don't even recognize me from the boards but I have always loved reading your posts. I've always been envious of your trips to catch those golden colored rainbows -- beautiful fish!

I sincerely hope and pray you'll recover your strength enough to go out and enjoy some more time on the water. You're in my prayers as well. Good luck to you whatever God's plan for you is.

Kevin
[signature]