Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera Mount?
So, 'toons and tubes being solitary craft, anyone have an ingenious way of mounting a "brag photo" taking camera mount? I was thinking of a pivoting rig where you could set your frame and somehow "snap it in" and set the camera to go off with a set delay.

This way, you can compose the shot prior and set the camera aside. Then, when you land your lunker, just hit the delay setting, push the button, and swing the camera into position and: CHEESE!

Anyone?

_SHig
[signature]
Yes there was a good setup. I am sure it is in the archives.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Fellow tuber ATFishing posted his ideas back in May '07. Thanks AT.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=333593;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO POST[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I DO recall seeing this thread before now that it's been mentioned...

Gotta build something now! Smile

_SHig
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah...now go reinvent the wheel...using PVC...and post the pics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ain't it fun bein' creative?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a couple of new things to post up myself after this week of "Beta testing".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Yeah...now go reinvent the wheel...using PVC...and post the pics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ain't it fun bein' creative?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a couple of new things to post up myself after this week of "Beta testing".[/#0000ff][/quote]

I actually have an idea for mounting a camera mount on one of my oars. Shouldn't be too tough.

Maybe this week!

_SHig
[signature]
I am really surprised that in todays age of micro/mini cameras that noone has invented a hat bill mounted camera for anglers.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am fond of the old saying "The key to success is to find a need and fill it."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like you are on to something. After all, there are now hat-mounted rear view mirrors, etc. The only problem I can see is that by the time you add the weight of the mount and the camera you will either develop a hunch back or lose your hat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]See you in the lab.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
lol.. I did a little checking on line and there is a huntcam.. which is a hat bill mounted video camera.. actually it is a lens mounted to the hat and then that attaches to the camera stored elsewhere via cables).. Id say way to cumbersome for a float tube..

..what I had in mind is a simple little digital camera clip mounted to a hat bill so that you could reach up and take pictures.. or something like that..

I have the idea ..but not the expertise to make something like that.. but as you say.. maybe one day..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote macfly55]lol.. I did a little checking on line and there is a huntcam.. which is a hat bill mounted video camera.. actually it is a lens mounted to the hat and then that attaches to the camera stored elsewhere via cables).. Id say way to cumbersome for a float tube..

..what I had in mind is a simple little digital camera clip mounted to a hat bill so that you could reach up and take pictures.. or something like that..

I have the idea ..but not the expertise to make something like that.. but as you say.. maybe one day..

MacFly [cool][/quote]

All the FLW bass pros have to wear a hat cam for tournament fishing. The video is an interesting perspective.

As for cameras, check this out!

http://www.goprocamera.com/

Waterproof, wireless, writes to flash. You could mount it on your 'toon tip or on your flipper! Smile

_SHig
[signature]
those are cool little cameras.. stills and videos..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Some of us like to have our ear to ear Smile included with the lunker fish, so the hat idea doesn't help. Like the song, "You're So Vein".[cool] With all the waterproof cameras now on the market, I like the idea of mounting it on the tip of a toon (sorry tube owners).
But I think some sort of an arm. Mount the camera, make sure it is pointing where it catches you and the fish, and secure it, but an arm that you can swing it in, set the timer, then swing it back out but some sort of lock that it stops in the right spot every time.
[signature]
well I would not want to break the lens of a perfectly good camera by including my ugly mug in the picture.. but.. ifn you must include your pearly white with the fishy.. then I would think a swing arm idea would work great.. isnt that the one that TD talked about earlier?? and I would think it would work on tube or toon.. just adjust the zzzzooomm on it ..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Quick and dirty:

Threaded base camera mount + bit of PVC shim + clamp + drill + screw = Camera Mount!

[Image: DSCF9133-1.jpg]

You'll see the oar leash on the left which I use to keep the oars in check during finning and anchored times. The camera mount is on the right oar handle end. The camera can actually stay on there while I row. The spade of the oar sits on a corner of the rear deck where I can set it every time for consistency.

Closer:

[Image: DSCF9134-1.jpg]

From the driver seat:

[Image: DSCF9135-1.jpg]

Closer still:

[Image: DSCF9137-1.jpg]
[Image: DSCF9138-1.jpg]

Should work okay. Just have to make sure to set the continuous autofocus or it'll be fuzzy as it sets focus and exposure on the button press as it's pointed away from me...

Can't wait to try it out!

_SHig
[signature]
Id have to say.. very inventive.. cant wait to see the results on its maiden voyage..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
They are a little easier now....they have remotes for the cameras......[cool]
[signature]
Sad thing is, only certain cameras have remotes, but they all have timers[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Learned about that remote thing from a buddy who when on a dog sled ride and trout fishing. I thought it was a neat thing to set up the camera and walk into the picture and press the remote's button....
[signature]