Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fly fishing virgin no more.....
so i've been trying to teach myself to fly fish. frustrating but i keep trying. i'm not a quitter......

anyway a buddy and i ran up to jordanelle the other night after work for a quick trip and he gave a bit of a lesson. well, not really a lesson as much as telling me what to use. anyway, i was dragging a black crystal bugger when WHAM!!!! my first strike! i was shocked, my heart skipped, i didn't set the hook. dang. 2 seconds later it hit again and i set the hook. i had it on long enough for it to jump out, have a look at me and decide it wanted no part of meeting my ugly mug. off it came. i did get to see that it was a sweet brown though. so i kept up the same tactics and about 5 mins later, WHAMO!!! it was on, i fought in my first fish on my fly rod!!!! a pretty little rainbow. never had a fight like that in my life. i could get used to this fly fishing thing.............that was it for the evening, i did have one other hit as i was stripping line in to recast. guess i need to heighten my awareness level.

the next night i was bored so i ran uo big cottonwood to try a dry. i had a lot of strikes but couldn't figure out just when to set the hook. im a bit too eager. i did manage to hook two. a sweet little brownie, who posed for the "first fish on a dry fly and from a river" photo below and a brookie who was not feeling too photogenic and went back in the drink when he saw the camera.

im really starting to see why the fly guys do it. its addicting.....
[signature]
Nicely done Bassinator, I self taught myself to fly fish about 15 years ago, pretty frustating at first but when you keep at it there is that moment that it all comes together. PM me sometime if you ever wanna go out. Remo
[signature]
The last picture IS a Brookie, sure the Brown didn't want a picture?
You will know your really a FF addict when you need a different rod for different places and fish, not to mention different lines.
This is a scary, costy addiction, so brace yourself!
It does get even better at times, but it sounds like you got the hang of it.
[signature]
[cool]Kind of weird to see a picture of a float tube on BFT without 80' of PVC on it.[cool]
[signature]
[#0000bf]first and foremost congratulations on your first fish on a fly.. it was just a few years ago that my brother in law took me into his backyard and onto a golf course lake.. gave me a quick casting lesson.. a box of poppers.. and then went to take a nap.. I still remember the adrenaline rush as I watched a decent sized lmb swim in and take my fly.. I hooked him, brought him, got a decent picture of him and I together and then released him back.. the next day I caught a good sized crappie on the same lake.. I dont have a picture of that one.. but I can tell you for sure that I would not trade the feelings of catching those first two fish for almost anything.. [/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]as FG said.. fly fishing is a great sport.. some say a way of life.. that can be expensive.. but I think every penny is worth it.. now.. the next step is to start tying your own flies.. LOL.. [/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]again.. congrats on your first fly fishing triumphs and keep on keeping on.. [/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]MacFly [cool][/#0000bf]
[signature]
it's a brown. it was dusk and i just grabbed my camera and took a quick shot. it was set for red eye reduction and the flash makes things look too dark on my camera.........

im fully aware of the wallet hurtin FF puts on ya. im already in deep. i only pic expensive hobbies. too bad i cant seem to pic a high paying job to support them. oh well, the feeling of a pretty lil trout on the end of my rod makes it worth it.......
[signature]
ya man. i'm old school. or maybe just easily Confused. either way, all that stuff would make me nuts.......
[signature]
You were there so I will go with what you say. I just noticed the WHITE on the edges of the fins which is a Brookie.

[Image: MirrorLake071307015450.jpg]
[signature]
i would like that. where do you usually like to go?
[signature]
I also thought it strange that the brown trout had the white line on the pectoral fins -- which is characteristic of brook trout. I looked around online a bit, and sure enough some browns do have a white line as well (although not as pronounced as on a brookie).

[Image: brooktrout2.jpg]
Brookie

The fish IS a brown though. You can tell cause brookies and other char are dark colored with light spots, and browns are light colored with dark spots.

[Image: 0205browntrout.jpg]
Brown
[signature]
It definitely has Brown markings which I should have zeroed in on at first, but I didn't, I zeroed in the the fins.,.There are allot of Brown in the Provo with the lines. My bad for not looking at the WHOLE picture[laugh]

Color is allot to do with it. I have pictures of Fish I have caught that either they are so silver, they are mistaken for Salmon, or the Yellowstone Cutts can get so dark they look like Browns

[Image: 48908131.jpg]
[signature]
FG- I thought I was getting old and couldn't see any more.
[signature]
It's those dang #30 and #32's getting to me. Then to top it off I am tying a dozen for a swap on another forum, so my eyes are going cross.[crazy]
[signature]
Those things are crazy small and will ruin your eyes. Flygoddess tried to give me one when my boy and I meet up with her on a comunity pond. Before I knew it had blown off my hand and seven or eight feet out onto the water before it landed.[Image: surprised.gif]
[signature]
I agree that there's no greater thrill than learning to catch fish on flies unless it's catching fish on flies that you have tied yourself. That's a double reward!
[signature]
Nice job my 8 year old caught his first fish on a fly rod a few weeks ago at the Herriman pond he was happy as coud be
[signature]