Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea Anchors
[Image: bobwink.gif] I see more boats out there, lakes and ocean alike, rocking side to side ( the worst) and sitting at all different angles to the ever taxing wind. Raised on a Blue Water sailboat, we kept a large parachute type sea anchor for big storm emergency encounters. Just like setting a single bow anchor, a sea anchor set on a bow cleat will turn your vessel nose into the weather. In a serious storm, this is critical to lessen the chance of rollover and will reduce drift significantly if there is serious trouble and your reporting positions.
Today, I use a 24" cone shape sea anchor with my 17 footer on a regular basis as when I do use the boat, I am a sit out there, shut off the engine and just kick back and enjoy the peace and quiet fishing guy. These things are cheap, around 20 bucks, will keep you nose to the wind and chop, and fold up nicely when not in use.
[signature]
Good tip. We use socks offshore when we drift live bottom for snapper and gouper. Handy to have, especially if your boat can't decide if it's going to favor the current or the wind.
[signature]
Yep, and even if your turned a bit, at least your getting hit by whatever in a consistent fashion, speaking for myself, my equilibrium is only 100% when my eyes have a fix on the horizon so when I'm looking down working or focused on whatever, it's always nice to have any boat movements somewhat predictable.

And it's much safer that way, much harder to roll a boat end for end (nearly impossible with a proper sea anchor) than side to side (which is the way a boat "wants" to turn naturally) [Smile]

Hey nice to meet you, this is a great site !!

You must be from the gulf coast ??

All my getting wet was done out of Pac ports, many fond memories, thanks, hope to cross wakes / raft up soon, BFS
[signature]
Actually, I'm from the Atlantic coast. I fish out of Murrells Inlet, SC. And like you said, it's nice to meet you. This is a great site, and there is a bunch of knowledge here. Don't be afraid to jump in on a board and share your experiance or ask a question. [Smile]
[signature]
I hear that area is just stunning, nice. Yeah, I first arrived here simply because my SEO for dummies book talks about forums and, yes sir, it sure is great, very much enjoy. Leaning volumes and meeting some great folks.

Sure would like to see a section just for boats, been asking around. I could help moderate for sure, am here off and on every day anyways so asking anyone, know it's volunteer.

Been years since I have been out to sea, many fond memories, live on top of a mountain in North East WA now, funny my tools seem to last longer lol.

Take care, nice to hear back from you, Scott

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
With a sea anchor, it's fairly important (especially with small craft) to ensure that the length of line between the anchor and the tie-down point is such that the anchor is sitting at the crest of a wave when the tie-down point is at the crest of a wave. If it isn't, the anchor could very well pull the bow into a wave.

wajdi
[signature]