Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Opinion on Combo
Hi all, my queries have led me to this posting. I want to get into Fly Fishing, thus intro. level, know very little about it but that is very appealing to me and Dryrod keeps posting stuff that I need to find out where to get the program to run [laugh] , there is indeed a science to it.

I like to fish smaller waters like streams and fish for trout.

I may likely be in many situations where the casting room will be tight due to the wooded and rocky areas I like.

Most of the trout I land in the places I like to fish, without a scale, hmm, smaller, certainly not trophies lol, I'd say 6" to 8" fish, they are aggressive and have had 6 and 8 lb. test line snapped more than once, usually when I feel I need to start showing a bit more drag or lose fish. I will say they are strong for their size and rank fighters relative to some other species I have caught.

This is a package that macfly55 found for me and also flygoddess apparently commented on also, I would like to thank you both for your interest an as per your advise post the gear here for opinions, thank you BFS

The price of this package is $99 bucks.

Product Description
The Crosswater Series - the perfect choice for anglers of any ability who just arent ready to spend a lot of money on a fly rod. But dont let the price fool you. Crosswater rods still have the same commitment to performance and dependability that Redington builds into all of its rods. Each outfit includes a CrossWater rod a CrossWater series graphite reel with an adjustable rulon disc drag a matching weight-forward floating fly line a 100 yard spool of 20 pound backing and a tapered leader.

[inline 41vuPfEus8L._SL210_.jpg]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]A 7' 2 or 3wt might just work out well under the conditions that you mentioned. Can't understand how those small guys keep breaking you off. A 6X or 7X tippet would be ideal. [2 to 3 lb test] If you horse them in like a bass on 12 lb test then even a gold fish could probably break you off. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]LOL [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Oh BTW are they breaking your line or possible your knots are not tied properly? What knot are you using to secure your hooks?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
if I remember right the package I looked at was a 5/6 weight.. probably a little heavy but with a good dt line maybe he can short cast easier.. (I think it was fg said that in another post).. but then a 3/4 with a little heavier line could do it also..

the kit has everything in it.. rod, reel, flies, leader, and a get started dvd..

also.. this was a Redington kit.. looked to be a really good deal to me..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Didn't really see fish too well few times that came to mind when I posted that so may not have been so small. One was at a high lake in Utah that defined "Screaming Reels" for me, literally, had to hit the brakes or spool out.

This is the knot I have used for fishing everything since a baby, the one they call "improved clinch". I was raised by sea faring rednecks and have always know it as "a knot". I always go the length to loop it twice through the hook eye also as opposed to the single shown in the diagram. Naw, don't think any broke at knot, usually see a little curl if it did. I have had the knots start to unravel, usually proving to be old line there also.

Also possibly the age of the line may have been a factor, many of my tackle items come from garage and estate sales, pawn shops, the like. I have noticed that if monofilament is left out in the hot sun for days, weeks, or simply is fairly old, it pretty much loses it's integrity, turns all cloudy and light.

I'll give it the "by hand" snap test and the the first to come off the spool (most exposed of course) old line usually snaps easily whereas the more protected inner line is much stronger, disappears in the water better too. Problem is, get lazy about changing line on reel, I'll pull out a couple of feet and give it the test if it seems been a while, but line was basically a "who knows".

Yeah, the pole length and whipping or snapping factor (What do you guys call that ??) is going to be the big thing for me, YouTube will be where I go to study casting techniques so any recommendations of good ones would sure be appreciated. I have a large enough nice clean area to practice here too [Smile] .

[inline fishing-knots.jpg]

Thanks Dryrod, always a big help and a lot of fun, BFS
[signature]
The Scientific Angler site has species specific packages, and the trout package, that's what it is 5/6 and comes with trout line and trout flies too, no idea what they go for ?
[signature]
It would be a good outfit to start.

We had a number of these that we used to teach fly fishing to kids. The had a nice feel to them.

5-6 wt is about the smallest you will find in a combo outfit. The 5-6 has enough in it to handle a little wind but still adequate for small stream fishing. It will work moderate fishing conditions.

It will work for bass fishing in shallower deeps.

If you get really interested in fly fishing you might then get more specialized rods and lines.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Don't you think that a 5/6 for trout sizes 8 to 10" is overkill? BTW Cabela's has a [/size][/#008000][#000000][size 3] [#008000][size 4]7½' 3wt Three Forks rod for $69.00[/size][/#008000][/size][/#000000][/font]
[center]
[center][signature]
A 5/6 would be a good all around rod...it is the FLEX that you want to be concerned with.
Don't go too stiff, that will break tippet. A mid flex is a good choice. I use my 5 wt on waters with smaller fish and it is still sensitive enough to feel 2".
As far as CLOSE areas...I probably roll cast more than anything because of that. Learn a good roll cast "JOAN WULFF" and it won't matter what is behind you.
One thing, the LINE is as important as the fly....usually the line that comes in combos leaves much to be desired, that is why I shy away from combos.
As far as breaking off, MONO does get brittle with age and lights. I only use Fluorocarbon. Problem there is pick all waist up as it doesn't break down. Plus it is much stronger than mono for a smaller diameter.

Try a SURGEON'S LOOP for attaching fly. Keep loop small however. This allows you to use larger tippet, but still get movement out of the fly.

Final note...a 4 weight would be more suited to what you fish for, but nothing wrong with a 5. And I agree, those high mountain TROUT fight dang good for their size!
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]And that would be assuming that a newcomer can roll cast. Would also think that on a small creek or brook hardly any of the fly line has left the reel. At least that has been my experience. Some times I had to do a bow and arrow cast where a roll cast wouldn't work for me because of the over hanging trees or brush.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks Scruffy_fly, learning so much as I go, sure will be neat to get that first fly wet, let alone hit on, thanks again, BFS
[signature]
Hi flygoddess, an honor to meet you, so to speak, you are spoken very highly of and certainly shows why in your interested response, thank you. I may have met miss Wulff at a tavern in Republic, WA, rings a bell but roll casting was out of the question as I was still married at the time. [laugh].

In all seriousness, couldn't access YouTube in mid response to comment, bad response from server, but I am sure entering Joan Wulff into their search will further enlighten me. Thanks again and will keep you all in many questions I'm sure as I peel layers off this onion so thanks all in advance for that too, BFS
[signature]
For the condition you describe I would agree with Dryrod and go with the shorter lighter rod. It's not that you don't need to learn to rollcast but the shorter pole allows you to cast without snagging on trees and brush nearly as much. I also find on short casting of any type that sometimes you are barely getting any fly line out with the longer rod and it effects your accuracy. The 3 Forks from Cabellas are inexpensive rods that are OK but I like Cabellas Clear Creek small rods much better. The 7 ft 2 wt model is my favorite for those small streams you describe. I use 5 and 6x leader with that rod and it can handle fish up to 15 inches without any problem. No matter what rod you go with I'd stick with the shorter lighter rods for the conditions you describe as it'll make it much more enjoyable. I think of using 5/6 wt rods for moving water when there is a good chance at 3-10 lb fish such as big trout and smaller salmon species. By the way if you do want a 7'6" 3 wt Three Forks I have one that I no longer use since I got the clear creek and would let go of for next to nothing.
[signature]
When I take a 7 1/2 ft rod to a small stream I wish I had my 9ft.

When I take my 9 ft or my 8 1/2 foot rod to a small stream I wish I had my 7 1/2 ft.

All the combo outfits I have looked at were all midflex rods. Seems like they all were 8 1/2 or 9 ft too.

The 9 ft generally works okay when I am standing in the stream but on small streams you always have to bushwack through the brush and brambles to get on and off the stream. Then the 9ft is in the way a lot. It comes in handy for dapping, also. That is where there is a small openning in the trees or over the top of rocks and you stick the rod over the water with only the leader or part of the leader out of the guides. You dap the fly up and down on and off the water with very short drifts in between.

The 7 1/2 works better when the overhanding trees are low or the width of the stream is quite narrow; those that you can almost step from bank to bank.

Bow and arrow cast is a good one to know for sure but it is ackward to learn. Worry about that on a furture outing. not on your first or second time out.

The roll cast. I think new fishermen would be better served being taught this one first. New people can easily make a roll cast as far as they can an over head cast.

Here is one that I use a lot when I have an underwater fly on (wet fly, nymph, streamer). How ever it works with a dry also. It is relatively easy to learn a little harder to describe. After the fly and your line has drifted down stream and your rod and line and fly are all stretched out and pointing down stream. The stream current is creating drag such that your leader and fly are creating a wake in the stream. Flip the rod forward and upstream. Thus you have just made a cast for your next drift. This is effective when you don't have back casting room. It is also effective when your weighted flies or tippet make it hard to get a good back cast going (either to your bad technique, or broomstick stiff rod) Learning where to stop the rod and how much wrist action will take some patience to learn for your accuracy. With an overhead normal cast you should not be using wrist movement as it will affect you learning long distance cast later but on this type of cast wrist movement helps.
[signature]
Absolutely, but if you think about it, you are basically roll casting the line back upstream. Peel line out, shake the tip of your rod and let it drift, or stand in the middle of the creek, cast up stream, let it drift back to you and flick (roll cast) it back up stream.
I also agree, sometimes I prefer the 7' and other times my 10' (dabbing).
Lately it has been my 8 1/2' JWF (5 wt), but also my 7' (4 wt) glass.
I have even taken my 7' 2 wt LL, all work just fine.
BUT! If I had only ONE rod, it would be a 5 weight in a 8 1/2' length.
That would cover the creeks and stream (Uinta's) The Weber and Provo River's and stillwaters.
Here is one of the creek I fish.
[Image: IMG_2185400.jpg]
[signature]
Looks like Millcreek, if so why isn't Baxter with you? The rollcasting back upstream is extremely useful and so is dabbing. If you're fishing upstream I frequently catch fish just a couple feet in front of me so a long pole isn't necessary to catch fish. I use the bow and arrow technique very rarely. I just don't find the pinpoint accuracy other casting techniques offer. Maybe others who use it frequently develop that accuracy crucial for smaller streams.
[signature]
Here is one of the kits I suggested to BFS to look at.. its a SA 5/6 wt 9 ft rod.. it also includes a few flies.. and the reel is already set up with backing and line.. plus it has a a leader.. and a dvd of basics of fly fishing..

[url "http://bigfishingshop.com/"]SA KIT[/url]

Both my rods are either 5/6 or 6 wt.. and the rod and reel kit I picked up in TN was a 5/6 wt and we fished a stream similar to the one in your picture.. it was sensitive enough for me and MacLarry and we were catching small trout, bass, bream, and gills.. Id say the largest was about 6" long..

from what I keep seeing here a 3 or 4 wt 7.5 to 8 foot rod would be a little more forgiving here for the situation he is in.... but for a beginner money is usually a factor.. that is why I got the shakespeare kit.. it was 20.00 but did not include any flies or the dvd..

such a quandry.. lol.. and to remember I was in this same situation not that long ago.. but thanks to the good people here I got all my questions answered..

MacFly
[signature]
BFS...

looks like the good people here are giving you all kinds of options.. that offer from riverdog almost sounds like a deal you may not want to pass up.. if you dont take it I might.. lol..

I started with 5/6 wt rods because most of my fishing is on lakes.. granted from the shore line or floating.. but that is way different than small streams (although I have used a 5/6 there also)..

also.do an online search for Joan Wulff dvd.. she has some great ones out there and teaches things in a very easy to understand way.. I think her videos include the basic cast.. and the roll cast.. and the upstream cast.. the last two would probably work very well for you (wish I had know about the upstream cast when I was in TN.. :-))

either way.. we will get it all worked out for you and then all we want in return in some good stories and pictures of the results of your efforts..

MacFly
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Yea here is Joan's site:[/size][/#008000][/font] [url "http://www.royalwulff.com/educational.html"]Joan_Wulff[/url]
[signature]
cool... we've both seen bits and pieces of her new dvd.. and I think it is awesome.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Hi macfly, sounds win / win to me [Smile] .

My big deal now is to go down to the fly shop and actually hold one in my hands, see what 5/6 actually means physically and I'm sure there will be some real good people there too to meet and learn stuff from as well, the address is in one of Spokane's original neighborhoods, lots of old knowledge area, cool people.

Making videos and they are turning out well, so hopefully capture a catch coming up, but most likely showing you guys a "what's wrong with my cast vid" [laugh]

Catch ya later, thanks, BFS
[signature]