Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
!st trip in Shirley's new FC4
Haven't posted in a little while; have a new job that keeps me busy. But we've been out a couple of times, so I thought I'd give a quick report.
After all the help I got here, I bought Shirley(my wife) a new FC4, plana fins and a few other accessories. Got to go out a couple of weeks ago on a small local lake that's only about ten minutes from the house. Great small lake, 38 acres, stocked by Texas Parks and Wildlife, and best of all, no motors. Not even electric trolling motors. (No offense to people that have electrics on their toons), but in a lake this small, it makes it nice for paddlers. And it doesn't get fished too much.
That 1st day we each caught 5 fish. Shirley was dropping live minnows, I was throwing plastic worms. Bass were from 11-12 inches to about 13. Shirley caught 3 small crappie next to the water intake at the dam. That's where I've been fishing most times, cause I can tell where the structure is. Good day for the FC4's maiden voyage.
Last week while Shirley was at work on Sat, I took the FC4 out to try it. Clear day with a lot of wind.
I loved the tube except for the wind blew me around a lot. I'm used to my Buck's Hi and Dri. But everything else was great. I had bought a Bottom Line Fishing Buddy from ebay for $25 including shipping. Was missing the handle and the clamp, but as I didn't need either of those, it was a great deal.
In the widest part of the lake, there is a flat that stretches out from the bank to the middle of the lake where the water lever drops from 3 feet to 13 feet almost vertically. !!Creek Bottom!!. So I tossed a crome Rattle Trap along that drop off. Caught two bass, one was around four pounds. After hanging the Rattle Trap on a rock, the only minnow imitation I had was a Rapala. Threw that for a while and caught the biggest white crappie I've ever seen. Probably around 2 1/2 lbs. Incredible! Didn't fight hardley at all, wasn't sure what I had on till it came in.
I've not seen anyone else fishing this dropoff. I have seen a few kayak fishermen with electronics out on the lake, but no one fishing this dropoff. So we're going out again tommorrow. I'm going to stop and get a few more Rattle Traps and some bouys. I'l mark a stretch of the dropoff and we'll fish that. If the wind will stay down, I'll throw some plastic worms.
I like fishing a flyrod more, but fish are still deep here hiding from the summer heat. And I need to get myself a fast sinking line to get down deeper. But we've had a few nights where the air temps have gotten down into the low 60s, so it's about to be topwater time.
[signature]
Oh, sorry there's no pics. Don't have a way to do that yet. And can't take my good SLR's out in the water.[fishin]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you are getting the hang of it...and hanging up some lures. That's part of it. As I have heard a lot of times, if you ain't gettin snagged you ain't fishin' in the right area.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are a lot of small lakes around the country that are ideal for tubes. They are even nicer when there are some willing fish in them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]