Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your favorite books....
I'm sure this topic has been visited before, but tonight it is snowing a little here in Salt Lake, and I'm going to start in reading more about fly-fishing, than actually getting out. So my question:

What are some of your favorite books and authors about fly-fishing ?

I've like reading John Gierach's stuff for years, and Gary LaFontaine's book, "Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes" is one of my all time favs. Basically I'm looking for good suggestions for winter fly-fishing reading, wether it's "how to," or just stories for entertainment.
[signature]
[center][size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]You mean like [/#008000][/font][/size]
[center][size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders?[/#008000][/font][/size]
[signature]
dont ya just hate leaky waders.. LOL...

MacFly
[signature]
Yep, that would definately be one of them.
[signature]
One of my FAVORITE books, although not of Fly Fishing, but everything else is KERPLUNK! Great Short stories.
[signature]
I am also a big fan of kerplunk and anything else Patrick Mcmanus

Windriver
[signature]
My favorites are Hemingway on Fishing, Zane Grey on Fishing and some of Roderick Haig-Browns works.
[signature]
Thanks everyone, great suggestions. I'll definitely hit some of these titles over the winter. I've only read a couple of the Hemingway stories in the past, I'll have to get that compilation.
[signature]
Last minute entry...lol

Sex, Death, and Fly-Fishing
by John Gierach

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Obviously that title doesn't have the words in the correct order. Or perhaps we have to buy the greater beyond to find a body of water that gives up a fish on every hookup. Well then is that where the first word also comes into play? LOL [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
lol.. after death.. unlimited fishing.. and unlimited.. hmmmmmmmm.. sounds good to me.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
If you can find them, anything by Corey Ford. My favorites are - The Corey Ford Sporting Treasury, Minutes of the "Lower Forty" and other Treasured Stories. Trout Tales & Other Angling Stories. And if you are a hunter - The Trickiest thing in Feathers. Mostly short stories but all well written. The Lower Forty stories ran in Field and Stream for years. I always seem to have one by the bedstand.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there gregv17 and welcome to the Fly Fishing Forum. As you can see these boards usually have a topic to peek anyone's interest. BTW are you a fly fisherman?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Hello back. Usually just look at forums but thought I would recommend a favorite author. Yes, I am a fly fisherman. I think it is a state law here in Montana that you have to at least do it once or they make you move to California or something. I am not a fly fisher only though. I like just about any type of fishing that is not snagging. Build all my own rods and a few for sale. That way I have what I want, made how I want. Anyway I do drop in once in a while to see if there is anything interesting. Maybe put in my 2 cents again sometime.

Greg
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]One of these days I'm going to get up your way and try out the many great water ways that I have read about or seen on Trout Unlimited TV series On The Rise & Fly Fishing America. Get up to Wyoming now & then - so what the heck is a few extra miles to be concerned about. BTW do you have any pictures of the rods you built to share with us?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I was just thinking the same thing.. maybe post those on the equipment forum..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks, I knew I'd get some interesting ideas for winter reading on this board. I will most certainly check out some Corey Ford material, but not the one you specifically mentioned. A little over my price threshold [Wink]

Amazon Price !

[url "http://www.amazon.com/Corey-Ford-Sporting-Treasury-Treasured/dp/0932558372/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224217620&sr=1-1"][#003399]The Corey Ford Sporting Treasury: Minutes of the "Lower Forty" and Other Treasured Corey Ford Stories[/#003399][/url] by Corey Ford and Chuck Petrie (Hardcover - Mar 1988)
[url "http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0932558372/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224217620&sr=1-1"][#003399]4 Used & new[/#003399][/url] from [#990000]$87.46[/#990000]
[signature]
That is pretty steep. I actually got mine at a library sale. You might try an online place called Alibris. I have bought books through them and found some decent prices. You just have to catch it at the right time. Ebay maybe also.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][shocked]Wow - at $87.46 you would think that book would come with a mermaid to read you the story.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
if it comes with a mermaid.. I dont think Ill be worried about the story... [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]