Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Au Sable Salmon Report
I was able to hit the Au Sable yesterday for a bit of fishing .
The weather , perfect ! Water was clear , cool and low, croud minimal .
I wasen't sure on what was hitting or nubbers of fish showing up so flys, waxeys, spawn and mini-crawlers were used .
My first cast bottom bouncing landed a 4" smallie, after that I spent hours before my second and final fish of the day was cought and released .
I had switched over to the mini-crawlers because nothing else had worked since that small bass near noon and the sun was just getting ready to dip behind the tree line on the horizon .
I fished from the bottom of the handicaped ramp when the 17" steelhead hit , the fight lasted about 10 minutes on the 4lb.test line .
A regular at the dam , "sam" had seen me fighting the fish and promptly set his rod down to help me net my catch . Sam is one of those guys that always tries to give a few pointers out to beginners and strongly encourages good sportsman conduct by example .
Sam netted the steelie with very little effort and used great care in removing my hook before releasing the fish to fight another day .
If you get to the AuSable , he's one person you should get to know .

I did see 2 cohos going into the coffer during the day and one that was snagged during the trip . I didn't see any other fish untill I walked up the ramp and spotted where the fish were laying .
If you plan on heading up I would sudgest parking at the bridge and heading up the shore to the slow side where all the salmon are finding gravel .
The numbers aren't heavy right now but I can only see them improving over the next 2 weeks .
[signature]