Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bamboo rod ??? 1930,s
any 1 recognise the rod 4 me. i got it 18 yrs ago at estate sale for 167 dallors. was told by the widow it was her husbands first pole. its been on my wall in my office. but im looking to sell it. thanx for any help you can share. ken
[signature]
I am no expert, but do know a little something. Is there no label or any writing?
From the pictures, I am a little thrown by the fact it has guides, but the tip-top looks like one from a POLE, in that it is flat.

Just a guess, it is an Horrocks Ibbotson, or a Montague. The metal reel seat does pose a chance that it is not a HIGH end rod. Very heavy and designed for wet fly in the old days. Asian made, and sorry to say, nothing to write home about. Not worth fishing because of the length and weight. Very inexpensive even in their day. Sears and Roebucks.

Again, I am not an expert and could be out in left field on this, but if I am right, the price you paid is on the high side.
[signature]
thanx. the day i bought it. i took it to wasatch fly fishing. used to be right by home. may bee i should have sold it then??? owell. may bee another 20 yrs on the wall. be 100 yrs old by then. ken[fishin]
[signature]