Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling motor size??
The more i row the more i wanna put a trolling motor on my pontoon. My problem is i already have a 50lb. thrust trolling motor for my bass boat and i really dont wanna buy a another smaller one for my pontoon if i dont need to. So my question is will my 50lb. thrust motor be too much on a 9' pontton??? i think its only recomended for 30 or 36lb. Does anyone here have a trolling motor on their toon that big??

[Image: dumb.gif]
[signature]
I have the 40. The only problem I could see is you would maybe have to beef up the MOUNT on your pontoon.
It is a bit much, but as you say you already own it.
What model is it and does it attach the same as the Endura or Maxxum?
The shaft is longer also, but that is deal-able.
The prop on my 40 is the same size prop as what is on the Endura so I don't go any faster, but I do have more power and it lasts longer on one charge.
Weight can't be that much different than the 40 and the weight of the 40 is nothing to worry about. Just the TORQUE. That can rip the mount on a toon.
[signature]
I have a 50 on mine. I like it when the wind comes up if I am on the wrong side of the reservoir but otherwise other than weight it does just fine.

I am looking at the maxxum cause at present time I am getting only about 6 hrs of battery. I believe this is because the motor is older (maybe the bearings in the motor are tired) or my battery is just not as strong as it needs to be.
[signature]
Batteries do take a beating. On other forums, they are talking two years out of them. They do start loosing more energy the older they get....just like us[cool]
[signature]
Well is good to hear that you guys are using bigger motors, cause i really did not feel like going out and buying a smaller motor. i bet a 50lb. will really get you moving good on a toon!

The motor that i am using is a [#ff0000][/#ff0000]Minn Kota Endura50. [#000000][/#000000]I am attaching some pics to show you how the motor will mount. I did some of my own stress tests to the mount and it seems to be rock solid. I dont think i will need to reinforce it, but u never know till you are on the water.

My only other question is if the shaft will be two long. i don't know how long the shaft is but i measured where from where it goes into the motor to where it goes into the controls and its 38". Im 6'1" tall and if i stand beside the motor it will come up almost 2 my arm pitt. That is the entire length of the motor, bottom of keel to the top of the controls. Should i try to shorten the shaft or will i be ok with it the way it is????

[Image: suspicious.gif]
[signature]
Speaking of batteries i use an Optima. I love it!!! yeah they are a bit pricy but they last twice as long or longer. I had mine for 4 years. I dont think they are quite as heavy as a regular battery either. One feature i love about them is they do not have any memory!! what that means is that if u do not need to completely drain them before you charge them back up. So if you get home and your battery is half full and you are going out again tomorrow you can just put it back on the charger and not have to worry about damaging it or affecting your battery life. Hope i made that clear and to to confusing lol [Image: confused.gif].

So idaho, how well does that pontoon of yours move with that 50lb on there?? You got a 9' toon right?
[signature]
I would like to give a reminder to you and others that may read this. The deep cycle marine batteries will last a lot longer than your standard or heavy duty car batteries.

They are meant to take the constant draining of the battery and numerous recharging cycles that are required to keep your battery full.

Deep cycle batteries do cost considerably more than your standard battery but will have the service that you need when you need it.

The next level would be the gel cell marine and RV battery. They will not spill if accidentally laid on their side.[cool]
[signature]
TubeN2 is right about Marine Lasting longer and the fact they can take charge after charge makes them the only choice. BUT, they will lose power year after year. There was some tests done on another forum. I keep mine for four years at a time.

Now, shaft length, mine (as you measured from bottom of head/control to top of Prop) is 33". I don't think 3" makes that much difference.
My next suggestion. Due to the fact it takes less power to pull and easier to control, I recommend you undo that bolt under the head/control and turn the head so that the handle is facing the same direction as the prop.

I move backwards in my pontoon so the motor pulls me. By, turning the head, I have all forward controls pulling me, and if I need to go forward (rarely) I put the motor in reverse. I do wear flippers at all times cause you just don't know when a motor might give out, so I steer with my finned feet. Plus, when I do get on a school, I turn the motor off and use my feet to hold me in the spot.

I am not sure that a bigger motor moves you any faster as like I said, the props are the same size, but I am no engineer.

Remember, you will have to license you Pontoon once you put a motor on it.
[signature]
I understand all about marine batteries and i used alot of them and the best marine battery i found was the Optima Blue Top Marine Deep Cycle battery. You can learn more about them here [url "http://www.optimabatteries.com/marine/"][/url][url "http://www.optimabatteries.com/marine/"]http://www.optimabatteries.com/marine/[/url] .

I never gave much thought about the whole bush pull thing with the motor. But now that u mentioned it i think i will turn my controls around and go in reverse. I have flippers also but im not very good with them yet Sad How do u steer with them??? To me that seems like it would be hard.

I dont think im gonna bother shortening my shaft on the motor either if u think i can get away with it. I guess it will all take some getting used to.
[signature]
Absolutely, and it is all about getting use to.
As far as flipper steering, just keep your feet in the water and it will come natural. I can't think how to explain it, it just does. Infact, I forgot our flippers "ONCE" and found that with the motor running I could steer with just my feet. I couldn't turn as sharp but I could still turn. It is just a little movement of the feet. Not much at all. You can also use your oars by leaving them in the holders and let then ride beside the toons and move them to turn, but I like hands free at all time and being a FF I need both hands at all times.
[signature]