Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tippy Dam Report for Oct 15
if going up and ya dont know your way around Bay City take another rout cause I-75 is closed at bay city....

aside from taking a 4 hour deture it was in all a fairly deacent trip.

leaving at 2 pm we arived at 11:30 pm

ya we did some stopping along the way. we werent trying to set no land speed records....

We stopped at Andy's Tackle Shop on the way in. he had been cleaned of most of his line. and as merphies law goes, I stripped my reels so I could pick up some fresh line when I got up there... "go figures"[:p] I ended up putting on 14 pound test line.

we fished from mid night to 6 am, hooking on to countless Kings, landing nothing but one small jack. wich I did keep for the dinner table.

there was one hookup that was worth remembering tho all were a pleasure, I must have gotten my knots right and did every thing right on this one, cause I hooked on to a wopper! My fishing bud whent to net it but once it saw the net it did not want any thing to do with being landed. it took off for what had seemed to be an eturnity, a womping hour and a half... In that time I got him close enough to land 3 times, but with out proper lighting netting a fish 10 feet below the rail was difficult at best.

the other two times I had gotten the fish in, my bud could not see the fish, tho I knew it was right below him, I could see the line there... then the fish headed down stream where we played tug-a-war for the next hour...

my bud holding on to the net for an hour and a half finaly threw the net down and went back to fishing

and yet, I held on,

I had no idea what was going to give out first, the fish me or the line, tho I was determined not to give up and was hopin it would be the fish but alas it was the line by the aid of a twig in the water. I heard it snap, and twang it was gone.

I know it was a twig cause I pulled it in....
[signature]
sorry, I did not finish yesterday, I kinda got cut off.

one tiny little grape vine twig. man was that a sinking fealing... the whole time you could hear my line singing with the tention between the rod and the king.

It would seem neither one of us was going to give up so it was decided for us... [:p] All I can say is next time I am going to take a different reel. and deffenantly going to stock up on line before I go.

I ended up with some major line twist. a good couple hundred feet of line twist.. I went in to pick up some new line at Andy's only to find he had not restocked in the last couple hours.

[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/10501/cat/630"][Image: DSCN1013.JPG][/url]

so we went in search of a bite to eat, found our selves in dublin at granny's place for some hot bean soup burger and frys. hit the spot cause the rain had set in and we were getting wet.

we stopped along a number of places up and down the river that morning, saw several upside down floaters headed down stream. was Sad to see, but it is a common thing with salmon.

on our way back we stopped at another place near welston and looked around, I picked up a flash light and batteries, I planned on taping it to the net so my netter could see the fish better..[:p] it was after all a long way down and dark to boot.

when I taped it I found the place to mount it was in the way of the button to slide the net handle up and down, I will have to drill a new hole on the reverse side and turn the handle around in the net head mount. this way I wont have to mount and un mount the light every time I put the net away. "Pic's to follow when done"

I also picked up my new calender for next year, Girls in camo, was a rough choice between girls gone fishing.. [angelic] but I had to choose one...[:p]

any way this shop was restocking when I went in, and did not have the line I wanted either, or at least was not done unpacking it... but we didnt have time to wait around. there was much water going over the dam and a few hundered fish stacked up on top of each other right in front of our spot. so grabbing a few more what nots including a bumber sticker that can be found in the window of the photo below and headed back to our spot.

[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/10500/cat/630"][Image: DSCN1012.JPG][/url]
[center]
[left]on the way back we stopped back at Andy's and had him fill my spool with 30 pound game getter, "big mistake" then got back to the dam.
[left]
[left]fished for the rest of the day to darkthirty only comming up with 5 more hookups and a lot of lead and hooks from the bottom of the river. I came home with more than I bought.[laugh]
[left]
[left]being there just short of 24 hours we were on our way back home. my bud catching a number of small coho's, I'm still scratchin my head on that one and I with one small Atlantic King were all in all fairly happy with the adventrue.
[left]
[left]We stopped at a little station on the corner of 55 and 37 for some mighty fine coffee and a couple pounds of pumpkin pie, raspberry, chocholite, maple, and rumrasin fudge....[:p]
[left]
[left]of corse getting home was a lot easier than getting there, we took the long way and got there much faster... LOL[laugh]

[left]All my bud could say for the next couple days, was ....
[left]
[center]OWWWW, My arm hurts. [:p]
[center]When we going again?