Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weed wacker Trolling Motor?!?!?!
This may seem a bit weird but i was cleaning out my garage last night and found a weed wacker that i was not using. Then i thought this could be a neat lil outbored for my toon!!! i thing a prop would fit on this fairly easy without much work. the only thing that would require some thought would be the mount.

Any of you guys ever tossed this around in your head?? if not what are your views on this goofy idea of mine lol.

[laugh]
[signature]
I've considered this idea myself. Never followed through though. Thing I see is that they're:

Loud
Smelly
Shaft is too long
Need to make a mount
Drivetrain may not like water too much

That said, I'd love to see you try just to see SOMEONE try it.

_SHig
[signature]
I looked this up on google and the problem was in the gearing. Ran fine till the porp got in the water and the risistance would stall the motor.
[signature]
Ah, forgot about that as well.

I guess a very small prop COULD work, but not worth the effort probably.

_SHig
[signature]
Yeah i do agree with everything you are saying! but maybe someday when i have nothing to do i could make my own drivetrain and just use the powerhead. With a little thought i think it could work fairly well with some gears. I dunno lol, for now i will put the craftsman away and use the min-kota lol.

[:p]
[signature]
I like this forum very much since i like fishing the on the weekends. i was cleaning out my garage last night and found a weed whacker that i was not using. Then i thought this could be a neat.
====================
steve

"Sorry Steve, no links to other forums"
[signature]
Ya'll are thinking about this all wrong. The weed whacker motor should turn a propellor BUT it should NOT go in the water. You need to install it on a kayak and make an AIRBOAT out of it. Has anyone ever tried this idea? Ear protection would be required. How big a prop? My guess is about 18". Pitch size is another question. I think it would work!
[signature]
Hmmm... If the motor doesn't have a prop in the water do you still have to reg the craft? Smile

Way to think outside the box!

_SHig
[signature]
That is called a FAN, and no I am pretty sure you don't have to license them[laugh]
[signature]
There is a guy on Youtube with a video doing what you are talking about . Prop on the end of a weed eater . Curt G.
[signature]
This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgR5aCRrC...re=related

Looks like you could be a little too busy to fish....LOL
[signature]
Not to sure about the air boat thing, sounds really loud lol. if you make a little outboard u can un the exhaust in the water.

However if you do decide to do this i would really like to see how it turns out, ya never know you might just change my mind.
[signature]
Speedy Tuber....[Smile]
[signature]
I dunno........ [:/] there is enough noisy stuff on the water when I an trying to have a peaceful day of fishing. The sound would be annoying..................[crazy]

Plus ..... those little two stroke motors run real dirty. Kinda smokey & chokey on a still day....
[signature]
Ain't that the truth!!!!
[signature]