Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couldn't pass it up !!
Hi everyone, while searching and studying about all this, I happened across this auction and won it. (ok, took more e-candy from e-babies [:p] )

May not be exactly what I will end up with but in the interest of starting somewhere and researching closed listings and Silaflex, Ted Williams etc. know I stole it lol for $33.03 + $10.00 Ship. Will be way cool just hanging on my wall, I love old stuff !! may turn out to be who knows ?? extra rod for a buddy ?? don't care, it's in the mail.

Only details in his post were 8'8" , Silaflex, and what can be gathered from pics. and he uses word "Vintage" his feedback is 100% /125 or so count pos feedback with comments on excellent descriptions etc. describes this one as excellent condition. That white lining sure looks unmolested.

From what I am reading, rod may likely be a Browning, who bought the Silaflex patent in the 60's for making rods and bows. User reviews are 100% thumbs up for Silaflex fly rods too. even see brand new retro ones, and not at all cheap either, for sale.

[inline aa1.JPG]

[inline aa2.JPG]

[inline aa3.JPG]

Thanks so much to everyone for all the great help [Smile] !! and I'm still looking, like I said, just could't pass it up.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
That reel looks like a Bronson. Which I think it's possible could have made them for Williams. I just don't think Silaflex or Browning (Silaflex) built rods for the TW brand.
When you get it, check out the sticker on the blank. I also wouldn't put it on the wall.
Fish with it. That's what it's made for.
Good score by the way.
[signature]
You bet I will, thank you [fishin] .

Yeah the auction wording seems to jive with probably wasn't originally sold as a set. Should be here in about a week so pretty cool, will be getting it all kinds of dirty [Wink] .

Next step, learn how to use it [cool] , go hunt trout .

Thanks,

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif] Looks like there is only three things missing from your picture. A fly, water and fish. Lots of luck BFS. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Yup. thanks Dryrod, sure cant wait to see what weight it is , we what it is period lol. gonna go see what water is open now. at F & W site
[signature]
[#0000bf]awesome !!!! ..next thing we need to see is a good fishing story with pictures of the fish to go along with it. [/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]MacFly [cool][/#0000bf]
[signature]
You got it !! , tastin' that trout already, will be meeting Charley Brown's fly eating tree no doubt too [laugh]

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
Got some new reel info for you.

Sorry Evil....no go on that one.
[signature]
Did the seller indicate how long its been sitting around? I notice a leader tip sticking out of one of the pix, which means it certainly has a flyline on it. The question is: how old, and in what condition?

I would probably just replace it automatically. But you never know.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
No, the auction was very poorly described. Probably why I got such a good (presumably) deal. We'll see soon, if it needs new set up, just gonna cross that bridge when get to it. Hy, what's the difference between fly line and backing ??

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Hi there BFS thought that you would be on the river already. Oops you don't have your gear yet. Sorry about that.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]A fly line is designed and manufactured in such a manner that it carries the lure [fly] to the intended target. I.e. You are casting the line. The fly itself cannot pull the line from the rod. In spin or bait casting the weight of the lure is what propels the fishing line. Since most fly lines come in lengths of 90’ or less that wouldn’t be sufficient enough to catch a fish on the run. [It also helps to fill the reel abt a qtr" from the rim]. The backing permits this action to occur. If you have 50 or more feet of backing replaced by fly line material it would fill up the spool beyond its capacity. Perhaps someone else can provide a clearer description of the difference.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
lol, will still have to look up backing I guess, was hoping it meant a rich uncle was going to buy me fly line [laugh] , that stuff is expensive !!

Does it tie to the length of the "regular" spool of line as a reserve ??

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]BTW don't skimp on the Fly Line. A cheap line compromises your whole system. & that is my 2 cents worth.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I dunno, Dryrod. Sounds to me like you 'splaned it pretty good.

BSF, to help clarify, it's called "backing" because it backs up the flyline, serving two functions: 1. to provide enough line in case you need it when playing a big fish, and 2. to cushion the flyline.

Backing is usually something like thin dacron, about 20# test. And, despite Dryrod's optimism, the only time 99% of fishermen see their backing is when they spool it onto the line.

As he said, flyfishing is different in that it uses a heavy line to carry a light (literally featherlight) lure to the fish. All other tackle does the opposite, using a heavy weight to pull the line behind it.

Flylines are thick both because they are the weight, and because the angler handles them a lot as he plays a fish. Should the need arise in which a fish takes out all of the flyline (there is only 90-120 feet of it, after all) you'd be SOL without the backing.

The sequence, incidentally, is: backing attaches to the reel arbor. Backing attaches to the back end of the flyline; flyline attaches to a leader; leader attaches to a fly. And, eventually, fly attaches to a fish. Hooray.

I cannot stress enough how much I agree with Dryrod on the idea of getting the best flyline you can. The flyline is the be-all and end-all of this kind of fishing. You can easily do without a reel (historically there were none). You can make do with a half-vast rod. But a cheap line will only frustrate you, and maybe cost you some fish.

Keep in mind that even a well used flyline, if cared for, can last the average angler about two days longer than forever.

Let's say you use it only five years, and pay 45 bucks for it. That's $9 a year. Compare that to, say, a serious bass fishermen, who changes his line frequently. That guy probaly spends four or five times that on line. Making your flyline a bargain, as these things go.

Brook
[url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com[/url]
[signature]
I sure don't put cheap strings on my guitar, I can clearly see the parallels. Thanks, will not skimp.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Would you believe that I have a fly line that is abt 20 years old. That is my practice line that I have on the Fenwick. Still doesn't coil up as they say an older line will do after time. Should state that the newer lines are much sweeter to cast. The only thing that hasn't gotten any more technical are the fish. They have gotten smarter. I mean after all you can find them in school most of the time.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Makes good sense and thanks, learning much here [cool] .

Weather is still looking good for another week so hoping to get to use when it arrives, will be able to practice in my yard (have acreage) if nothing else, next storm should bring snow to my area but some extensions are in effect for landlocked steelies and salmon at a few locations, will have to make sure rig will take big fish first of course. may well make a road trip.

we will just have to wait and see what the mailman brings,

thanks, yeah Dryrod used to live here so he knows the good fishing, I'm excited.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Actually I didn't mind fishing in the snow. If you are dressed for the climate then it is just you & the fish. Go get um BFS.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Hi Dryrod, glad you wrote, am very excited to get going. Watched a bunch of videos last night. See how to cast and now know all the terms you folks use. Yeah that pulling back against the water, the roll cast is perfect. I already knew about riffles runs and pools and how trout feed and move along them just called em different.

Reminds me a lot of my bow hunting. Been already practicing my arm and not using my wrist, just pointing thumb. Studied all the different casts and simply have to agree with Lefty, just keep it in a plane, no matter what you do. Think I will be hitting the water as soon as I get her. Makes me want to get a new outboard for my boat lol, Homey aint afraid of a little cold, heck it's the Summers I cant stand anymore.

This will be cool, gonna get some alder ready today.

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
Hi Dryrod, just scored this line on eBay, about half price for 25 bucks delivered, only had enough time to determine it should be a good trout line and formulation is for cold water. Was a one off auction, it's new but not from a retailer. Think it is weight forward, double taper.

Don't know anything about the colors ?? It's yellow. and I'm guessing the 7 is the weight ? be good for the larger fish ?? Steelhead ? Is this pretty fair line per your standards ?? Why is it yellow ?

Doing my study on bugs now and seems like the October Caddis might be a good one to try ??

Wanna be ready when that rod and reel arrive [cool] .

[inline a56f_1.JPG]

BFS [fishin]
[signature]