Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's The Weight
I'm just curious about everyone's opinion on this.

When extra weight is needed to get nymphs and streamers deeper, do you prefer using weighted flies, or adding extra weight to the leader?

Personally, I find it much easier to cast a weighted fly than a rig with extra weight added. Plus, by shifting the center of gravity of the weight, I can control how the streamer configures in the water.

For instance, if you use lead wire wraps centered on the hook shank the fly will swim level. Moving the wraps closer to the head or tail will make it swim either head up or head down. And, of course, all patterns using dumbbells, beads, cones, and bead chain, will swim heads down.

Weight on the fly can also determine whether it swims with the hook up or hook down, which sometimes makes a difference. A hook-up position, for instance, is much more weedless.

What do y'all prefer?

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi Brook - good subject. Why don't you conduct a poll as a number of members would vote but are reluctant to make any comments.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I find that I need to weight my flies on a lot of the rivers I like to fish. I could use some BB's but am not too fond of that lobbing feeling while casting.

My only problem is that I wonder if the rubber-legs and nymphs and such that I put weight on when tying, don't get enough of a natural action while drifting. I have wondered if this results in less strikes and in turn less fish.

Anybody else have thoughts?

As for streamers, with a floating line, I prefer to weight the fly as well.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Now that I tie my own flies one, I can add weight where needed. FGD had a good suggestion and that is to finish the head with red thread which denotes weight added. I prefer a weighted fly versus adding split shot. Although I will add shot when tubing as a can just snake out line as a flip along. I just don't like casting with 00 buck shot for it might wind up hitting my head. LOL[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
A poll would be a good idea, Dryrod. How do I do that?

Brook
[signature]
Using colored thread as a code is always a good idea, Dryrod. So long as you remember your system. [sly]

When I started tying I did use red heads to connote weight. But then I started playing with weight placement, so had to go with other colors. I use red when the weight is centered, yellow for tail heavy. Most of my weight-forward flies have visible weight components, so special color isn't necessary.

When, despite everything, I still have to add weight, I prefer the lead ribbons (comes in a pack that looks like a book of matches. Two reasons I like them: 1. You can easily control how much you use; and 2. Because the weight is spread out, instead of being concentrated like a piece of shot, the whole thing casts better.

The downside is that if you use commercial knotless leaders, there's no place to twist-on the lead.

Brook
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi Brook - unfortunately one cannot not add a poll to an existing thread. When starting a new thread there is a button to click on the blue tool bar that states NEW POLL. That is where you would set up your polling questions. I probably should have stated For Future Reference.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]As MacFly would say I keep buying material and never seem to have everything that I will ever need. Just might pick up some weighted ribbon on my next buying trip.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
After 40 years in this game I still haven't solved the two greatest flytying mysteries.

1. How do I rationally store all the materials that amass?

2. How come, with all the boxes, and drawers, and loose stuff on shelves, and stuff hanging from hooks I never seem to have everything I need for a particular pattern or fishing application?

And, as those of us like thee and me who grew up fishing the confluence region know, having exactly the right fly pattern and size when you need it ranks right up there with having the bread land buttered side up.

But we persist. To do otherwise would mean taking up dangerous hobbies: motorcycle racing; sky diving; hanging out with red-headed women.

Brook
[url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com[/url]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Oh Oh - I wouldn't go there if I were you. FGD has red hair. And no blond jokes as TubeN2 is rather touchy on that subject. LOL[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]BTW Brook would you be interested in joining our group that will be participating in this years fly swap? If so follow this link.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Fly_Fishing_Forum_C69/Fly_Fishing_General_Discussion_F132/gforum.cgi?post=442821;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Fly_Swap_2008[/size][/#008000][/font][/url]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
hey now.. my wife is a red head.. and so is my sis.. [laugh]...

I learned a long time ago from my brother in law who got me into this.. and my friends here on this site that in fly fishing and fly tying. you never have enough.. enough rods and reels, enough flies, enough fly tying material. and the biggest not enough.. is enough time to be on the water as much as you want to be.. LOL>.

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the invite, Dryrod. But I'll have to skip this go around.

I don't tie dry flies at all. And lately, most of my tying is for warm water species.

Interesting trend there, btw. Most flies are tied to simulate something in nature. Or at least something the fish will think is edible. While that's generally been true with warm water as well, the past few years more and more patterns are tied to replicate hard baits.

You oughta see my flyrodding spinnerbait, for instance. I don't mean using hardware (like the old spin-flies and the like). I mean using legitimate tying materials to create a fly that acts like a spinnerbait in the water.

I reckon Nick Lyons started it. Years back, in one of his columns, he talked about a friend who designed a streamer that exactly replicated the forage base on Flaming Gorge, "which, as everybody knows," Nick said wryly, "is a #5 Rapala."

Brook
[url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com[/url]
[signature]
I will generally use the lead wire underwrap on my flies. Most of my flies are heavy to begin with since they are fished in saltwater.

Many of my hooks are in the 2/0 to 8/0 range. That sounds pretty heavy to beging with but once you get dubbing and all other materials on there, the tend to become more neutrally bouyant which inhibits the decent in the salt water.

Under wraps and sometimes the addition of some weight forward beads can help get the fly down in the zone.[cool]
[signature]
I do weight the flies for rivers but mostly just nymphs. I use the lead substitute.
Streamers I do weight, close to the eye, but more for stillwater.
I use full sink lines on rivers to put my fly in the zone, so I generally won't weight them, unless I want hook up. Full sink lines are very easy to cast...allot easier than split shot or sink tip lines.
Plus you have a chose of Density compensate or Wet Cell sinking line. Each with their own purpose.
[signature]