Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimalist Fly Selection
When I was new to the sport it was a common practice among fishing writers to pronounce how few flies you really needed to carry.

Of course, none of them fished the Beaverkill.

But the basic idea is sound. For any general set of conditions you probably could fish with a half dozen or ten patterns all year, and never feel you were missing out on anything.

So I thought it might be fun for everybody to come up with a minimalist fly box. We'd each have to first specify the kind of fishing we do, and where. And then provide a list of six patterns (or pattern types, perhaps) that would serve us for that.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Is this one of those tests where if I spell my name correctly at in the top left hand corner I get an automatic 50% added to my grade? BTW Not having access to a regular body of moving water, I’m always seeking that pot of gold to wet a fly where ever that may be. While I just usually throw my bag of flies into my car I guess that won’t work with your scenario. Well since there isn’t any correct answer, these are my choices:[/#008000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Sierra Nevada’s[/#008000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Species – trout [but I don’t discriminate][/#008000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Chartreuse Clouser Minnow[/#008000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Olive Woolly Bugger[/#008000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Grey/White Gnat Fly[/#008000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Royal Wulff/Royal Trude[/#008000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Copper John or facsimile [/#008000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Pheasant Tail Nymph[/#008000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Should have included a Yellow Sally since that is what I tied up for the Fly Swap.[Image: bobwink.gif][/#008000][/font][/size]
[signature]
[indent]I have to laugh, Dryrod. After almost 20 years at the game, the only fly Friend Wife can identify by name is the Royal Trude. It's her go-to fly for all occasions.

Hmmmmm? Go-to flies. There's another thread.

Meanwhile, probably ain't ten other people around here who know what it is.

Brook
[/indent]
[signature]
Since I primarily Saltwater fly fish, I have my "Go to" flies for just about anywhere I fish in the world.

Mango Fly
Szechwan Shrimp
Surf Goong
Moss Bugg

Freshwater "Go to" flies:

Puple Zonker
Clouser Minnow
Olive Wooley Bugger
Renegade

[cool]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]The bulk of my fly-fishing is working up small mountain streams, with hungry fish. I generally only try a few flies. These fish are usually eager and I generally don't have to experiment too much. They are all equally good at catching tree limbs. Not very exotic or scientific, but fun.

1. royal wulf then - maybe a more drab dry.
2. foam ant
3. small hopper

If they don't take on top, I'll drop.

4. olive hare's ear or other generic nymph
[/size][/font]
[signature]
I've answered this elsewhere before, but I'm very set in stone with it. I carry 8 different patterns, in a few colors (light and dark), and nearly all sizes from #18 to #10. (I've NEVER seen a rising trout that wouldn't hit a sparsley tied 18, but would hit one smaller, so I no longer bother with 20's and 24's.) Wing colors are either very light or black, so I can see the fly on either background.

Anytime, Any Place, one box in my shirt pocket.:

CDC dun with spent wings. (covers ANY mayfly stage or species with on-stream modification)
Elk Hair Caddis.
Parachute Adams.
Foam wing emerger (floats half-in, half-out) (covers all midge and mayfly hatches)

Foam Hopper
Adult Damsel

I do have a couple fo other boxes of "odd' flies I'll add from time-to-time on a specific water, but rarely. Specific mayflies, adult stones, midges, cdc caddis for flat water, griffiths gnats, ants, beetles, etc.

And no, I don't cary nymphs or streamers. Just personal preference. There's always a riser somewhere, or a fish that can be made to rise.
[signature]
My list are
Dries:

Griffith Gnat
Elk Hair Caddis
Ant
Hopper
Adams/mosquito
And of course...Royal Wull

Nymph/wet

Haresear
PT
Prince
Copper John (Red, green, copper)
Soft Hackle
Royal Trude

AND OF COURSE: San Juan Worm
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: dumb.gif]How come most of you folks didn't mention where you fished, species and list only 6 flies? Now remember come Tuesday you can only vote one time unless you are from Chicago. Then the skies the limit.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Well, so far my list has worked on

Yellowstone Cutt
Bonneville Cutt
Rainbow
Brookies
Tiger Trout
Brown
LMB
SMB
White Bass
Crappy
Bluegille
Perch
EVEN, Cats and Carp

What more is there? LOL
[signature]
When I started this thread I figured I'd lay back, let others post there lists, and then come back with a simple answer.

But it turns out it isn't that easy. I fish mostly warm water, and would have to break down my "one-box" lists by type of fish, and type of water. For instance, largemouth bass fishing in lakes would not be the same selection as smallmouth bass fishing in rivers and streams.

Even then, limiting the selections is rough. But I'll take a stab at it, one group at a time, while others join in.

Here are my selections for bass in lakes:

[font "Times New Roman"]Largemouth Bass Flies[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Hair Bugs in various sizes and colors[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Hair divers in various sizes and colors[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Big-Eyed Flash-A-Buggers[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Bullet-Head Tube Flies[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Clouser Minnows[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Spin-Bait Fly[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Crystal Grub[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Crayfish[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Feather Worms[/font]

All of this would go in one fairly large utility box, and, along with sinking lines, would give me enough variety to fish anywhere in the water column.

Brook
[signature]
BUT, there is a bunch of old standard flies that will catch warm and cold water species. Haven't had the opportunity to try them on salt, but guessing they could work there also.

Imagine my surprise in hooking a Bronze back in the Snake on a Chironomid and an indicator.
[signature]
That's absolutely true, Flygoddes. But the game plan is to assemble a minimal collection that you could depend on for that species and conditions.

There always are exceptions and off-beat things happening on the water. I recollect once in the Mt. Washington Valley. The guy in the flyshop said the brookies were hitting on big nymphs. We're talking about a hard fished stream, now, for brookies that average about ten or 11 inches.

"How big are we talking," I asked. "8s and 10s?"

"Oh, no," he said. "Big ones. 2s and 4s."

Fortunately I still had my Montana boxes in the truck, and we slayed them on #2 Bitch Creek nymphs.

But I wouldn't count on that as a regular occurance.

Similarly, if you were putting together a box specifically for smallies I doubt you'd include a chironomid for that purpose.

But, then again, that's why we call it fishing. If it were easy we'd call it catching.

Brook
[signature]
Ive been kinda quiet on this one because I am the novice in the group.. but will tell ya'll simply what I take with me when I am able to get on the water..

I have three boxes of flies.. total.. I used to have four but leave that one behind.. it contains nothing but jig flys.. the other three boxes have an assortment of nymphs, terrestrials, poppers.. all flies that thru research and asking lots of questions are flies that are good for this area...

.. as I fish.. if one type is not working.. I switch..

.. I carry all that I need in my fishing pouch that has plenty of room for those boxes, second spool of line loaded with type II sinking line.. and the tools I need to be on the water.. I can also carry a bottle of water..

on days when I know I will be out for a while I carry a second collapsable bag with drinks and something to eat...

I know my system is not perfect but with my limited experience it works for me.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]One fish's meat is another fish's poison. I know that I am taking literary license with this statement. Anyway that is why there is 1,000,001 [plus or minus a few] different patterns of flies, sizes and colors. Since my preference is dry flies I found that just two or three flies will generally get the job done. The trick is deciding on which two or three will get called to duty on a given outing. [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
oh I absolutely agree with you.. the difference is that you have an idea of what you are going for and what they might like.. Im still learning.. so Id rather have all my arsenal with me until I can learn more of what Im doing..
:-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Mac, some of us are more experienced, some less. But the suggestion that we aren't all still learning is silly.

I've been at the flyfishing game 45 years, and learn something new everytime I go fishing. And, of course, if we weren't all learning, this group would be a lot smaller than it is.

What I'm saying is that there's no need to apologize for being a beginner. We all had to start somewhere. And time in grade only comes through time in grade.

Just be thankful that there are groups like this, and videos, and instructional books. Little of that existed when I got started, and for years I was the only flyfisher I knew. It's a lot different being, essentially, self-taught than it is having this help available.

So, if your system works for you, then it's the best system for right now. Over time you might modify it. And maybe you won't.

Brook
[url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com[/url]
[signature]
Brook,

I did not mean to sound like we are not all learning as we go.. I look at it this way.. when I can get on the water I learn something new.. and I am sure that everyone is in the same boat.. conditions change.. fish react to that.. what worked yesterday may not today.. and so on..

I guess its more of a comfort zone.. I am comfortable having everything with me for now.. when I learn more as I go.. I will modify what I do and dont bring with me.. most of you are already at that point.. but that does not mean you dont learn something as you go.. :-)

MacFLy
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hey MacFly - when I load up my car to head out to the moving wet stuff I just throw in my bag of flies. Never counted the number of fly boxes it contains but it must be a least a dozen. I know that many of the flies that I'm taking have no place on the waters that I intend to fish but it is easier that way for me. Hate to make more decisions than necessary. I mean getting out of bed in the morning is just one too many decisions to make for the day[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4] [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
CONFIDENCE! is the key word
[signature]
LOL,,, I know what you mean..

MacFly
[signature]