Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I Retarded?
I went down to Salem, UT and fished Salem Pond every single day this past week and you know what I caught? Nothing. Zero. I had maybe three bites all week. I tried spinners, I tried salmon eggs, I tried PowerBait, I tried worms on a bobber and worms on the bottom. Now I have never been a successful fisherman and what I really need is a mentor who's willing to take me out and teach me. Until then I just bide my time until ice fishing rolls around. I have better success with that. But what am I doing wrong? How can I go a week using all that and never catch a fish? I looked at the stocking reports and there have to be thousands of trout in there. Any tips or anything or was it a bad week for everybody? Thanks in advance for any help.
You know, I think that's a beautiful pond and have fished there often since I live in Payson, but I haven't ever done very well there. I would highly recommend heading up to Payson Lakes and learning the ropes up there. Beautiful country, not much further, and usually pretty decent fishing. I'll shoot you a pm and we can go sometime if you would like and see what I can do to help you with your technique.
[signature]
Go to Maple Lake up Payson Canyon Road.

We went there for Our first trip this year and we caught our limit. The trout are all planters so they were not all that good (Thus why we did not go back) But they bite and you can sit on a bench. Nice place. Use worms, and put a M&M Peanut size Rolled piece of power bait on the end of your worm hook. with the sinker about 2 1/2 feet from the hook. Try to cast out far into the lake 30 - 40 ft. Expieriment with different colors, Yellow and Yellow/White super scent work well.

We were at the north east side by the campground.

Good Luck
[signature]
I feel you pain!! I have only caught bluegill there. [crazy] Part of the problem right now is that Salem pond is mostly full of warm water species and the water is cooling fast. When that happens, the warm water species aka bass, bluegill and even catfish to some degree, go lethargic.
the good news is that some of the best trout fishing of the year is happening at the trout lakes. Like mentioned earlier, head up payson canyon for fiesty brookies and browns. The brookies are colored up real nice right now and can be caught on small tubejigs tipped with worms. While you are casting that, float powerbait up off the bottom for rainbows. Use small trebble hooks and rainbow powerbait. Hope that helps.
[signature]
The key to bait fishing success at Salem Pond is to fish as weightless as possible, or use a casting bubble, so your bait sinks as slowly as possible before reaching the moss that coats the bottom of the pond in most places. try the narrows at the head of the pond and the big open springs in that area.
[signature]