Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TOONING for TROUT
Pokey-mon called last week and invited us up to share his trailer on a little day and a half fishing trip. WHAT! It's the last of OCTOBER!
But this is the perfect time.
We had originally planned on a day at the Berry, but ended up with the Poky.
Got there Saturday morning around 9:00 am to a 38 degree. Got the toons inflated and on the water. Wind was present from the word get go.
Tried about a half dozen flies to zero in on what they wanted on a regular basis.
Evening even produced the BIGGEST FISH of the weekend:

[Image: BigFish2400.jpg]

Went to bed early and was toastie warm in the Trailer, but in the morning! 24 degrees with frost everywhere. I grabbed the floating line and scored a couple of fish from the shore with ICED up guides and fingers that felt like they could break off.

[Image: Shore400.jpg]

The white grass on the shore was frozen to my reel from laying it down on it for a second to remove the hook.

The day warmed up nice and the fish were on....great weekend thanks to Poky-Mon

[Image: Six400.jpg]

[Image: One400.jpg]

[Image: Three400.jpg]

[Image: Four400.jpg]

[Image: seven400.jpg]
[signature]
Good stuff, Joni.

Congratulations on the nice pics. Well done m'lady!

God Bless,
Don

P.S. Are you still gettin' em on the marabou flies?
[signature]
What kind of presentation were you using? Flies under indicatiors or strip/drag sink lines?

_SHig
[signature]
Some on Chironomids 20' leader with indicator then later in the day, Streamer or Chub Imitation on DEPTH CHARGE 300 grain line stripping then in the evening TYPE II.
[signature]
>> ..... Chironomids 20' leader with indicator<<

That's a long leader. I have used some that length, and occasionally longer, but was never completely happy with the setup ,though it caught fish, so I have moved into conventional sinking line SHs for a similar job. (But with these you have to keep it moving to hold depth.)

What was the leader made of, fluoro, braid, nylon, ..... and were the pupae heavily or lightly leaded?
[signature]
Norm, straight 6lb fluoro. Breakaway indicators. Bead head Chironomids, one on bottom and one three feet up, with sink putty about 8" up from bottom fly. All are suspended on foot off the bottom.
Philip Rowley and Chan deep nymph with just fast sink line. Drop it straight down then slowly retrieve.
I like the break away indicators on choppy water.
[signature]
Those are beautiful trout!!! wish i dad a place around here to catch nice trout like that. O well got to wait for April. [frown]

I was out this weekend to on my toon and it started out good but the wind really picked up. it was white caping on the lake and i tried to tuff it out but i was really getting beat around. the lake i was fishing has alot of huge rock and stumps and i did not wanna lose my anchor so i got out of there. must say rowing back to shore sucked. it felt like i was tryin to push a car through mud. but i eventually made it back by hugging the shore. other than that i dad a nice day, got a ton of perch ( not what i was after but they r fun). I was seeking some pike and i knew i was in the right spot with all the perch i was catching but the wind made things difficult. O well maybe next sunday!
[fishin]
[signature]