Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout's parasites
Hi guys!
I've recently fished on Los Vaqueros Reservoir, CA and caught several trouts affected by some kind of parasites. Somebody has an idea what it is and what to do with that fish?
Thanks,
Ilya
[signature]
we get some trout with parasites here in idaho but havnt ran across any that severe, if i catch one with a spot on it i just turn it loose no point in chancing it.
[signature]
[#000080][size 4]"Grubs" in My Fish, Should I Worry?[/size][/#000080][font "Arial"][#000080]
[/#000080][/font][font "Arial"][#800000][size 4]LaDon Swann
[/size][/#800000]Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant Program
[/font]
[font "Arial"]Summer is the season when most farm pond owners enjoy their ponds the most, either by fishing, swimming, or simply relaxing pond-side. During the peak periods of usage, anglers occasionally find parasites on the fish they catch. They are called "grubs." Grubs are the most commonly reported parasite living on fish because they are the easiest to see with the unaided eye. [/font]
[font "Arial"]The grubs we see are really flukes (Trematods). The three most common flukes we encounter in our farm pond fish are the yellow grub, white grub, and black spot. When removed from the fish’s flesh and cooked properly, the presence of the flukes do not pose a human health problem.[/font]
[font "Arial"]To better understand the flukes found on farm pond fish, some information on the life cycle of the flukes is necessary. Flukes are parasites that spent part of their life cycle in two or three animals. To eliminate the parasite you must break the life cycle of the fluke. The animals required to complete the life cycle of the flukes involve birds, and fish and sometimes snails. [/font]
[font "Arial"]The yellow grub is a large grub which spends most of its life in the mouths of herons. When the yellow grub leaves the heron, it invades snails and eventually invades a particular type of snail. When the yellow grubs leaves the snail, it invades the fish and burrows into the muscle of the infected fish. These cyst encased grubs are one of the most commonly found parasite in fish fillets.[/font]
[font "Arial"]The white grub is found in the internal organs of sunfish. Since it invades primarily the liver and heart, it is a minor problem for anglers. The grub will be visible as numerous white "specks" in the liver of the fish when they are processed. [/font]
[font "Arial"]The black grub is widely recognized as black spots on fish. The adult grub lives in the intestine of kingfishers. The eggs of the black grub are deposited into the water in the bird’s feces. Similar to the yellow grub, the black grub invades any variety of snail that inhibits the water. When mature, the black grub leaves the snail and attaches itself to the nearest fish. The black grub is actually white and not black. The black spots are the result of pigment from the fish that surrounds the encysted grub. The black grub is can be found in the fins, under the scales or in the flesh of the fish. [/font]
[font "Arial"]To summarize, grubs have a complex life cycle involving birds, snails and fish. Their life cycle makes it practically impossible to eliminate them from natural waters such as farm ponds. It is not uncommon to find a few grubs on all wild fish. These grubs can not infect humans, but you should clean and cook the fish properly.[/font]
[signature]