Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun owners fret Obama White House
[size 2]Gun owners fret Obama White House
Voting bloc has 'deep-seated' concerns
Jennifer Harper

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama speaks at a rally in Lancaster, Pa., on Sept. 4. He strongly denied that he had any intention of taking away anyone's shotguns, rifles or handguns. (Associated Press)

The nation's gun owners have the presidential election in their sights.

Some are up at arms about the prospect of future gun legislation should Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama win the White House. Others are beefing up their personal arsenals, skittish that firearms could become scarce or too expensive in the near future.

"If the economy is down, and gun sales are up, it shows you just how deep-seated the concern is out there about the situation," said Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association.

"Most gun owners at least until recently have been misled by Senator Obama. Though he claims to be an advocate for the Second Amendment, his voting record in the Illinois Senate says otherwise. He voted for a bill that would ban nearly every hunting rifle, shotgun and target rifle owned by Illinois citizens," Mr. Pearson continued.

"His campaign has done a good job burying his take on firearms," he added.

Hal Goldstein, owner of the Armory gun shop in Annapolis, said, "People should be scared."

"Sales are definitely up," he said. "I've got people with Obama stickers on their cars coming in to buy. We're looking at possible a super- Democratic majority [in Congress], and a president who's going to do what's best for the collective. I don't want to sound paranoid, but the prices could go way out of sight."

Mr. Obama's campaign Web site cites "the great conservation legacy" of American hunters, including Theodore Roosevelt.

"Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport and use guns," the site states.

Not all gun owners are leery of Mr. Obama. He has the endorsement of the American Hunters and Shooters Association (AHSA), a Maryland-based group that describes itself as mainstream hunters without "a radical agenda."

Mr. Pearson, however, buys none of it.

"This is all just a propaganda mill. And the American Hunters and Shooters Association is a leftist, elitist group." he said. "They're a front for the Brady Campaign [to Prevent] Gun Violence." The Brady Campaign also has endorsed Sen. Obama's candidacy.

AHSA President Ray Schoenke said his group is "not a front for anybody."

"The issue that Senator Obama - or Senator [John] McCain, for that matter - is going to take America's guns away has been hyped up," Mr. Schoenke said. "If people are looking for an excuse not to vote for Senator Obama, then it shouldn't be on the gun issue.

"If people are nervous, they need to remember the Supreme Court decision this summer, which says the government cannot confiscate or ban guns," he said.

Mr. Obama has not made any points with the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), a Connecticut-based nonprofit group of 4,000 gun makers, retailers, sportsmen and publishers.

The NSSF claims that on Sept. 27, the Obama campaign "unlawfully obtained and made unauthorized use of a proprietary media list" belonging to the group and has since sent a cease-and-desist letter to campaign officials.

Meanwhile, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has launched get-out-the vote drives, including lawn signs that read "I'm a 'bitter' gun owner and I vote."

"We're arming gun owners, who are a very loyal voting bloc, with the facts. And it's a fact that gun control has become a political liability. Senator Obama is spending millions trying to camouflage his take on the issue," said NRA spokesman Chris Cox.[/size]
[signature]
If Obama gets voted in, i will renounce my citizenship and move to Canada or Australia. He makes my stomach turn to say the least. [pirate][crazy]
[signature]
Are you gonna stick to that declaration come Wed.? Somehow I doubt it. Seems like Obama is likely to win this election.

I already voted (we can vote early in Washington), and so far in early voting it is leaning towards Obama.
[signature]
Damn straight![:p]
[signature]
Well, there is some pretty fine hunting and fishing in Canada! [cool]
[signature]
Nothing personal but unless McCain dumps Palin in the next couple hours you might as well start packing. By the way Canada and especially Australia have some extremely strict gun control laws. If you voted for Bush you probable should pay $17,000 per person in your family for the deficit he ran up over the past 8 years before you go. Don't get me wrong Palin might be a hoot to go hunting with. But it would be like having a taxi driver be the copilot on a commercial flight when the pilot is prone arrhythmias and might pass out or die at any minute.
[signature]
Maybe Mexico then?? I see them raining doves and ducks all day. Seems to be no gun laws down there either.
I just can't stand the thought of Obama(after all i have learned about him in the last 4 months)being our president.[pirate]
[signature]
So you've convinced yourself that Obama's got soooo much more experience? What has he done? In my view, nobody has to die for taxi driver Obama to become the pilot, he already is the pilot. I've attached an open letter from the Executive Director of the Illinois state Rifle Association. This man has worked directly with Obama and knows more about his anit-gun tendencies than any of us.
[signature]
I think McCain is a descent man with more experience than Obama but lost his chance due in large part to picking Palin. Let me make a prediction that unless there is another high profile assassination attempt like the one on Reagan in 1981 we won't see any significant new federal gun laws in the next 10 years no matter who's in office. It just isn't that important of an issue to most politicians to upset many potential voters.
[signature]
[quote riverdog It just isn't that important of an issue to most politicians to upset many potential voters.[/quote]

What? How do you explain Clintons Regime and the Sara Brady BS? It doesn't seem to me they care about potential votes. Care to explain?
I think the first few things Obama addresses come next year will be gun bans. I could care less on most of the other issues but gun control is one i can't stand!
[signature]
That's my whole point they already learned from the Brady Bill experience. Clinton was trying to be seen tough on crime in making it a little tougher for criminals to get guns. NRA didn't want any restrictions even if it meant easier access for criminals. The NRA extracted a huge price on the Democrats at the next election. The law stands with the instant checks in place of the 5 day wait. They're all politicians, they won't introduce new federal laws on guns even if they truly believe in them because they know their party will pay at the next election. While gun control won't make the the top 5 list of most Americans they know that there is a significant minority like you that it is the most important issue. I'll pay for that ticket to Mexico if new Federal Laws restricts guns next year. How's your Spanish and Visa application coming anyway[Wink].
[signature]
I don't need to speak any spanish to hunt there. All they need to understand is "fetch".
As for my Visa, good to go. Clean as a whistle. [Wink]
[signature]
OH CANADA... BLAH BLA BLA.[Wink][:p]lol
[signature]