Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving Mr. Ed
My brother in law and myself spent the day putting in a woodstove in his garage , it's an easy task untill you need a extra part or something and have to take a trip back to the hardware store .
We were about 6 miles out of town when I noticed something unusual about the traffic ahead , I warned my brother in law he better slow down .I could see a horse head in front of the car ahead of us but didn't see a rider or a buggy top .
The car ahead of us passed the animal and gave us a clear view , a plow horse had broken free of its harness and was heading south on the highway switching lanes into oncomming trafic as we went .
It's a hilly section of road and I told my brother in law to keep his headlights flashing to alert oncomming traffic as i dialed 911 .
By the time 911 answered a pick up passed us and almost hit the horse , he went a little further and a guy jumped out waving his arms to slow or stop the horse it was all we needed to start the fun part of catching the scared and Confused animal .
The pickup blocked the northbound traffic and my brother in law blocked southbound traffic with his car . I had already jumped out to stop the horse from turning around and escaping back the way he came which it did several times .
I don't know how much a plow horse weighs but when you have one comming full gallop at you it's something you won't forget soon .
I think it was just seeing what the other guy did that started me waving my hands in the air to get the horse to stop and it did kinda , the horse turned around and went the other way .
The other guy did the same thing , back and fourth the horse went , all the time we were closing the quarter mile gap between us .
When we were down to the last thirty feet a amish farmer showed up and got in on the rescue that had been going on for about twenty minutes already .
Finally with the third person who knew how to handle a horse we were able to get the scared animal under controll .
The amish farmer was able to figure out whose plow horse it was , the hores had escaped from a amish farm some four miles away .
With everything was all over and done and I got back into the car and said lets go , my brother in law looked at me and said he's never seen anything like that in his life .

I just played it off as being no big deal and said horses are easy , it's those runaway billy goats that can give you a rough time .

I'm going to enjoy hearing this tall tale at the next family reunion , I'll just sit back and Smile .
[signature]
ya, my great granny could tell ya about them billy goats, she chased hers around the mountain till she was 115 years young.

ya she was alive when lincoln was president...

sounds like a great time, been a long time since I had to round up a loose farm animal... you can be sure to add that one to your turkey day treat...

wavin yer arms like that could have gotten you guys jumped, man your lucky... your just susposed to hold them wide and off er your hand palm side up and a kiss...

ya them plow horseys hare huge.... I know they use morgans and clodsdales and other breeds with big feet for traction in the feilds...

to bad you didnt have a vidia of that, would have been fun to watch.... and dont let the bro' know any different, it dont happen every day..[:p]
[signature]
The though that I might become road kill crossed my mind a couple of times [Image: scaredworried.gif] .

Billy goats are just rude , my fingers will never be the same since I had my hands on the pen rail and wham , one quick shot to the knuckels !
Darn that goat [Image: happy.gif]!
[signature]