Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Fishing My Girl's Pond
Tomorrow morning bout sunrise I'm going to my girlfriend's house to fish her big pond. We've caught nice bass there before, and we've always thrown them back in, so I know there's bass in there, though we haven't gotten a bite since June. A friend of mine told me early in the morning was the best time to go, so I'm hoping it pays off. I'm at least guaranteed to catch a catfish or two either way.

I rigged up 2 poles: one for worms and another with a black jitterbug on it. If anyone sees this before I go fishing please give me a hint on best presentation of the jitterbug or just any other tips that may help me lure a bass into striking.
[signature]
Try the jitterbug different ways. Slow retrieve,stop and go,fast. The fish will tell you what they want. Nice to have a lady friend with a bass pond. Good luck./
[signature]
I pond fished most of the summer and Senkos were the hottest thing I threw. Spinnerbaits and topwater worked in the late Spring and then took a nose-dive. I'm from Northeast PA, so I might be in a totally different climate than you.

Other than Senkos, I had my best luck on a Jackal Mikey Jr. which is a hard jointed swimbait that runs just below the surface with a wake.

Bass in my pond eat frogs, worms, small snakes, and smaller fish. Keep natural forage in mind when you fish your pond.

If your water is as muddy as mine, color schemes will play a part as well.
[signature]
Well, the water is very muddy, and I used a motor oil worm with the bright yellow tail, black, pumpkinseed, blue fleck, chartreuse, and nothing got even the slightest hit. i fished the jitterbug slow, medium and fast and had the same result. i stood there for a couple of hours like a bump on a log throwing cast after cast out and never got anything. and I know there's bass in there. we caught several before, and we always threw them back in. they were too big to be eaten by the cats...i know because they were more than half the size of the cats. either that or i know nothing about catfish lol. it's quite frustrating standing there for 2 hours with no results. but, i guess that comes with fishing.
[signature]
Well, if it were easy everyone would be bass fishing. Hats off to you for your effort, sounds like you got the bases covered. Maybe a slow rolling spinnerbait? Glass rattles in the worms? Scents?
Are you weighting the worms? If not perhaps a T-rigged weightless worm with a slow fall may trigger a strike...I wish I had a bass pond to fish where they weren't biting. (As crazy as that sounds it's the truth, I love the challenge.)
[signature]
When they won't take anything on top of the water column, I'll work the bottom. Work a crawfish or jig slowly back to you on the bottom. This is the time of year to go slow again and let the bait sit awhile.
[signature]
Well, I have no clue how to fish a spinnerbait--don't know how to rig it up even. colors and blades and all that stuff elude me as well. I think i just got deja vu.....but i digress.
and letting stuff sit on the bottom of this pond are hazardous...there's a lot of stuff in there...my girlfriend says there's actually a Jeep in the deep end from the people who lived in the house before them. crawfish or jig...i'll have to google those. im assuming the crawfish part is an artificial bait like worms?

any suggestions on colors for the murky water? like that bright bright almost neon yellow?
[signature]
Sounds like a good place to use a stickbait ( Yamamoto Senko, Lake Fork Tackle Zig-zag, Yum Yumdingers, Wave worms Tiki Sticks, etc) You can rig them Weightless and weedless and fish them through the nastiest stuff on the bottom without getting snagged. [url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpJ_Yvxfmw"]Video[/url]
[signature]
Go for the dark colors, black, watermelon should work as well. Beavers are a style of plastic that will imitate a crawfish. Texas rig it. You need to find the structure in that pond, so don't be afraid to throw where that jeep is located. Thats where the fish are. Trees under the water are also good spots. Now you'er getting the challange of bass fishing. All ways try different things.
[signature]
There's part of a tree down on the edge of the water about 50 or 60 yards from the pier I'm on. It's been a booger catfishing, because the catfish would take my bait and get on the hook, then go swimming all thru that. I can't get close enough to it unless I put a pretty heavy weight on my line (I have a 2 ouncer on my cat lines). I got some black 7" power worms, so I guess I'll forfeit another tuesday or thursday morning to go try again. with that.
[signature]