Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seal Beach Pier Kids Tourney
Guess what? I took my grandson, Jake(7) and his buddy Frankie to the contest yesterday morning and Jake won it, the whole thing. He received a giant trophy and a new rod and reel. He caught a 10 pound shovelnose shark on 6 lb. He had to drag it to the beach around light poles and other obstructions where Frankie "tailed it" in the surf. There were at least 150 bystanders applauding the whole thing. Jakes comment was he was sorry the shark had to die, it was a long way to the end of the pier and the tourney weigh station and the shark didn't make it even though he and Frankie sprinted up the pier. That's the way to raise them.
[signature]

Hi there gvanzant,

Congrats on Jake doing the deed. Do I see shades of a future jackpot shoe-in on my cattleboats in the future?!
Send picture, so I'll know not to get in the pot if he shows up!

The poor little shark died?! Are shovelnose's a really sensitive or weak species? Good Grief! I heard of people being shark slashed after 2 or 3 hours of the thing being out of the water. Being 'tailed' like that, you'd think it was handled the best it could be. How did you cook him?

JapanRon
[signature]
JapanRon: I'm really not sure whether he lived or not. Jake threw him over so maybe he did. The important thing is the message to preserve anything you don't plan to eat. Once I made my son pick, clean and cook a sparrow, then eat it. He shot it with a bee bee gun. As far as eating shovelnose I have tried it although that was many years ago. You know the old recipe, that being, cook the shark on a flavored plank, then throw the shark away and eat the plank. As far as pix on the boards I haven't any idea how that's done. If you want to see a pix of Jake and Frankie look on page two of this Sundays press telegram. Keep up the good work I'm enjoying your contributions to the boards. George
[signature]
WOW, Great Job! JAKE & FRANKIE!,that task of tacking a Fish to the Shore of a Pier,is truly! a dedicated,job for a "Focused Angler!" and should be Honored!As well as the sincerity,to the "Catch".Understanding the "Risks" to the sport,and the agknowldgement,of the "gamefish's" demise,is a VERY HONORABLE COMMENT.I am extreamly Proud to know that the young men like Jake and Frankie,that have good mentor's or family that have been instilled with the conservency of "Respect" to all living things.I learned that from my father the same way,similar on the Belmont pier,when "I" Too caught a shovelnose shark,and my Father gave "Me" the choice to Keep it or realease it!I chose to take it home.After showing it off,to my brother and sister,and the neighbors,my Dad,pulled me aside and told me? "what do you want to do with it?" I said,? I don't know? his reply was,simple,"You could have let him live,You chose Not To".Now "I" must Waste his Life For Your Pleasure,and can't eat him,because your Mother,will not be burdened with Cooking of things she has not sure of,so I am left to Dispose of this life,so true to your wishes,my lil KING."But never again will you Make me do this task again!I felt like Grit!and cryed for a day or so,It was to be that "Once,I was to see the Beauty of our world,and to make up my mind up all by myself,I tell this story,still to my Dad,he doesn't remember it,and even at my age around 10 or so, it "IS"the lessons that truly make us the caretakers to our environment.What's true,to be passed on for renewel.Awesome George!
[signature]