Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line for Ice Fishing
[cool][#0000ff]Longevity is a variable thing. But, if kept indoors at room temps, and out of the UV rays of the sun, it should hold up just about indefinitely. I do not use a lot of the heavier test stuff, but I am still top shotting 8# from a mega spool I bought over 4 years ago and it is still very supple and spools nicely. Also has all of the strength and other properties for which I bought it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The cheapie stiff nylon stuff...sold at discount prices...has given lines a bad rap. That low quality line does break down over time, even when not abused by UV or high temps. Higher quality mono, copolymer and other higher priced stuff usually holds up much better.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat answered you and frankly I don't know. I do know that I keep mine in an unheated shed.
[signature]
Question for TubeDude and kentofnsl -
Do you re-line the entire spool or use some "backing"? How many yards would a standard spool use to within 1/4 inch of the edge or whatever you determine to be "full"?
Do you use a line spooler or just reel it in by itself?
[signature]
I was at Cabelas today and they don't have any Excalibur line at the store. I guess you have to order it.

humpy
[signature]
[quote MrLipripper]Question for TubeDude and kentofnsl -
Do you re-line the entire spool or use some "backing"? How many yards would a standard spool use to within 1/4 inch of the edge or whatever you determine to be "full"?
Do you use a line spooler or just reel it in by itself?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]"Top shotting" is having some "backing" on the spool, to help fill the spool, and then topping off with the line you want to fish with. That is a common practice with anglers who have different line requirements for the "working line" and the backing. I top shot many of my reels, especially for ice fishing. If you are not going to use more than 100 feet of line there is no need to fill your entire spool with premium line. It will gradually reduce, as you retie or break off pieces on snags, and when you get down toward the joining knot, it is time to remove the remainder of the good stuff and respool. Keep the line you took off on a separate spool and use it for leaders.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For fishing where the fish are likely to make long runs and a knot could cause potential problems...like with wipers or other large fish...it is wise to spool completely with your primary line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not use a line spooler. I sit the line spool on a flat surface, facing up, and reel the line onto my reel under tension...holding it between a thumb and forefinger. If you are winding from the right direction, there should be no kinks or loops. If you are reeling it from the wrong side, and kinks develop, turn the spool over and use a permanent marker to label the line spool "TOP" for the next time you fill your reels. Most line spoolers are for winding line onto a revolving spool reel. If you use those for filling a spinning reel you will end up with a tangled mess on your first cast. Faster, easier and cheaper to just use the suggested method above.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]DO NOT FILL YOUR SPOOL TO THE VERY EDGE. Always leave at least an 1/8 inch between the edge of the spool and the outside edge of the line. Some guys feel that they aren't getting their money's worth unless they get a full spool. In truth, you will usually end up getting rid of the excess anyway, when it tangles up and you have to cut it free.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A good way to determine how much line you need for topshotting is to take your rod out to the park and rig with a weight or lure of about the size you will be normally casting. Fire off your best cast and see how far down on the spool your line goes. Strip off another 10 yards or so and mark it with a marker. Wind the line back in, take your rig into the house and strip off the "working length". Now use a blood knot to join your premium line to your backing and fill the reel spool to the proper spot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Obviously, you will need less line for ice fishing than for making long casts. Still a good idea to have more working line on the reel than you think you need. It will last longer before you get to the knot and have to do another top shot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope that was explanatory enough.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That's odd, they usually have some 8 and 10 # there. .the 6 is almost always sold out.. but the 4#.. you can only get that online via their online store.
Just order it online and have it shipped to the store for free. Little slower, but, you don't have to pay the shipping.
[signature]
Thanks for the great info. I'll have to give the silver thread a try.
[signature]
One more question? I went to get some line and there were a few kinds to choose from? There is the [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20180-cat600392&rid=&indexId=cat600392&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=6&parentType=index&parentId=cat600392&id=0011782"]Silver Thread AN40[/url], the [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20180-cat600392&rid=&indexId=cat600392&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=6&parentType=index&parentId=cat600392&id=0003198"]Silver Thread Excalibur[/url], and the [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20180-cat600392&rid=&indexId=cat600392&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=6&parentType=index&parentId=cat600392&id=0017538"]Super Silver Thread Copolymer Line [/url]. Waljustia said it's a copolymer? But you said it's the Excalibur. Sorry but was just wanting to get the line? Thanks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I use the Excalibur...but have tried some of the other Silver Thread lines. They are good, but do not seem to have quite the same strength or abrasion resistance. Of course, a lot of that is subjective and a matter of personal opinion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In their online listings for lines, Cabelas includes the Excalibur under the heading "Monofilaments". But, on the paper label on the line spool it says "copolymer".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope that answers your basic question.[/#0000ff]
[signature]