Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet Seal???
I have been trying to figure out the differences between the types of Wet Cel sinking lines. As far as I can tell Type I sinks slowest and the bigger the Type number, the faster the sink. I was hoping someone could clarify this for me.

Also, I am looking for suggestions as to what would be the most versatile between fishing the South fork of the Snake along with lakes. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Up to this point I've only fished with floating lines, and I would like to learn how to do more with sinking lines.

[#ff0000]Sorry ChrisTheFish but I had to remove the commercial link from your signature. Kindly check the FAQ for further clarification of permissible links.[/#ff0000]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there ChrisTheFish here is a link that is posted on Fly Fishing Gear & Equipment that should answer your question.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Fly_Fishing_Forum_C69/gforum.cgi?post=449284;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]Fly_Lines[/url]
[center]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]I don't think that the link I provided will answer your question - so in a nut shell is is a brief overview of sinking lines:[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Type l [intermediate] is a slow sinking line with a sink rate of about 1 and 2 inches / second.
A type lll [fast sinking] sinks at a rate of 3 and 5 inches / second.
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I haven't fished the So Fork of the Snake only the tail water near Moran and by Wilson bridge in WY.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]In both instances I used a floating line. I do carry a spools of WF-ST but didn't bother to change lines as I was doing okay with dries. Also since I perfer to fish shallow waters even when nymphing I still use a floating line. Fishing lakes & resorvoirs is a different story. I sure that our resident pro FGD can provide you with more detailed information.
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Dry rod is right, the higher the number, the faster sink.
I would say Type II or Type III would be perfect. I use Type II all the time.
You should also consider density compensated sinking line. Wet Cell is nice cause it forms a belly. Great for weedy water bottoms, but I use Density Compensated more than anything. No belly, nice straight line.
[signature]
Thanks for the help. Sorry about the link, it's just my personal website, not where I actually sell my pictures.

Dryrod, did you change the thread's title or am I going crazy? I thought I had put "Wet Cel," but maybe all the my midterm exams have gone to my head.

Thanks again for the help. FF seems to be one of those things where you really have to try a lot of things to get the hang of it, despite what your read beforehand, but the more prepared you are the better! [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Wet Seal is what you typed - but we knew what you meant. Midterms can play tricks with one's mind particularly when the lack of sleep catches up with your body. Good luck.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
>FF seems to be one of those things where you really have to try a lot of things to get the hang of it,<

Yes and no, ChrisTheFish. On one hand, flyfishing can be the most technique intensive sport in the world. But, on the other hand, 90% of flyfishing entails nothing more than a forward cast and a floating line.

That's part of the fun, though. You can get in as deeply or as shallowly as you like. F'rinstance, I flyfished more than 15 years---including lake fishing---without owning a sinking line.

As you delve into sinking lines, let me make a suggestion. For various reasons, go with a full sinking line, at first, not a sink tip. And, like the FlyGoddess, I prefer compensated lines, because they make hook ups a lot simpler.

Brook
[url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com[/url]
[signature]
I use a type II for most lake situations up to about 12' deep then I switch to the type III.

For the SF you will need a high density line if you are planning on stripping streamers regularly.

Like others have said whatever you do go with a full sinking line not a sinking tip.

Windriver
[signature]