Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late weeb report
Headed up to my favorite stretch of the weeb saturday afternoon for some long awaited flyfishing and possibly a greenhead. with Kelly(kokehead). We got suited up and headed up the river. Within 100 yards, i saw a buck and hen in the center of the river. I figured it was a lost cause to try and catch them but gave it a shot anyways. 3rd cast, the big male took my #22 Zebra Midge and took off like a rocket! I fought him for over 5 minutes in the current but finally got him to the net. Fly out, a fast phone pic and back to do his fatherly duty. 25" or so and about 5.5#. He was beautiful.
We fished up the river another mile or so and caught a dozen fish between the 2 of us. Mostly small browns but kelly caught 1 small white fish and a small bow or cutt.
On the way back to the truck we jumped 2 woodies and i had no shot but already had my gun off my shoulder when 2 mallards flew over. 2 shots and down came a nice mallard. Not a stellar day on the weeb, but ok. The water is clear but still running a little fast and high for my liking.
I will see if Kelly can get the pic of the pig posted or transfered somehow.[cool]
[signature]
Nice to hear that the pigs are finally showing up. I guess the warm October delayed them just a bit. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
so where's the phone pic!
[signature]
I am planning on going to the weebe on Wednesday with my son. I might try that fly you were using. It would be nice to catch something. How did you fish the midge? Surface or sub? Sounds like you had a great day![Smile]
[signature]
I was up there Saturday, teaching a friend how to nymph, and caught 25. Mostly cutts and white fish. We were at the MT Green exit and fished between the two bridges. All cutts there.

Moved up to the Preston exit, fished downstream. All white fish.

Moved upstream of the bridge about a mile. One brown.

I don't know why that part of the weeb is so segregated right now. They really need to live in harmony so I don't have to go all over to catch those species.

My friend was able to catch a few white fish, I was jazzed about that, now He's hooked for life.[inline "Dustin first fish nymphing.jpg"]
I got this one today on the weeb.
[Image: 25incherSmall.jpg]
[signature]
[shocked]Nice fish! How big was he???
[signature]
25" between 6-7 lbs
[signature]
You sure about that 5lbs and 25 inches? Looks like a 19 incher and about 2 lbs unless that net is really oversized. Just askin.
[signature]
Congrats on a fun trip. Did you mean the Peterson exit instead of Preston?
[signature]
yeah, you got me, he was actually 10" and about .25lbs fishing guide. Not nearly as big as anything you might have caught. Just saying. the net is 21" .
[signature]
Nice fish Orvy, tried a couple times but yet to land any big ones from the Weber this fall. I'm not the best at estimating weights probable because I don't bother bringing a scale for trout fishing. I do know that a 25 inch trout needs to have a 15-16 inch girth to be in the 5-6 lb range, something you don't often find in Utah rivers unless they're running out of lakes. I have a net with a 18 inch opening and 24 inch total length and it also makes fish look smaller than they really are because we're used to seeing smaller nets.
[signature]
Whoa, hold that temper there. Using a fish calculator with the formula Length x grith x grith / 800 for total weight, for a 25 inch fish it would have to have a girth of 15-16 inches. This fish may be 25 inches long but I suspect it is only 11 inches around putting it at about 3 pounds. The reel on your rod really skews the perspective, I am sorry if you took offense, but if there are 6-7 pound browns coming off the weber I'm there.

And yes, I have caught large browns from the weber (up to 3 pounds) but during the fish survey this year, the largest found on the river was 8 pounds but he was 32 inches long and 14.5 inches around, quit an impressive fish. Anyway congradulations.
[signature]
[quote katghoti)

And yes, I have caught large browns from the weber (up to 3 pounds) but during the fish survey this year, the largest found on the river was 8 pounds but he was 32 inches long and 14.5 inches around, quit an impressive fish. Anyway congradulations.[/quote]

I guess you know how big a fish is just by the pic. That is like trying to judge a mule deer by a pic when he is running dead away from you. Jeff is a seasoned flyfisher and he might be a pound high on the weight but i have no doubt that fish was 5#. Look how thick it is in the top 1/4 and look how far off the ground it is sitting above the net. I have caught several large browns in that stretch and they can be close to 4# at only 20" quite often so i have no doubt his fish is 6#. I caught a large male 2 weeks ago that was probably 24" or so and it was close to 5#. Jeffs fish is longer and heavier than mine was.

What area did your fish survey come from? I know 5 holes that hold 10#+ fish as i type this and several others that are in the 5 to 8# range. I usually always catch atleast 1 or 2 that go to 22 or 23" when i fish raps or jigs.[Wink]
[signature]
Sorry if my temper flared up but it tends to happen when I get accused of being a liar. I dont have a scale built into my arm so I may have been off a bit but, the fish was at least 5#. As for no 5-6lb fish coming off the Weber take a look.

http://utah.localwaters.info/index.php?s...8a46462508
[signature]
Nice fish its every bit as big as you said [fishin]
[signature]
My dad could beat up your dad!!

Just kidding here is a solid brown from the South fork. The people just down stream from us hammered a freakin hog that looked as long as the dudes leg
[signature]
If it is a health 25" it will definitely be in the 5 to 6 lb range
I have caught and have pictures of FAT 24" @ 5 and 28" at 8 -10 lb. And the 35 at pushing 20. I know there are some HOGs in the Weber and that big hooked jaw is a dead give away.
I do appriciate the rod and net next to it over the fully extended arms, hands as big as horse head, look at my BIG fish pictures.

Very Nice!
[signature]
YES! Some days the brain just isn't working.[crazy]
I do want to say, I know what katghoti is saying. I see pictures all the time of guesses in length and weight.
I know my Brother in law has exaggerated many times on the weight of a fish.
There is a chart to determine.

While Orvy's fish is BIG no disputing that at all, it is the FAT that determines
the weight. I had clients catch 25 to 28 inch fish that looked like snakes.

[Image: trout.jpg]

As you can see, long fish, but not much girth.

[Image: bigtrout1add.jpg]

[Image: HenrysLakeCutt4.jpg]

GIRTH!
[signature]