Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topwater Lures??>?
I am sold on top waters after yesterdays audience for em. The problem is I didn't set the hook on one of them. I have always be skeptical about them but man they are pay day. I'm wondering from you more experienced fellas on when to set the hook. I kept a eagle eye on the lure every time and could see the fish seconds prior to the strike. Which makes me think I set the hook too soon, I'm not sure. When getting a strike on topwater do you wait to feel a tug. Or should you know when to set. Using swim baits which i'm use to, I obviously wait for the tug. I'm new to topwater so advice would be appreciated.
[signature]
Also what are your favorite top water lures? I'm liking the muskie buster line up. Anyone with opinions on that brand?
[signature]
Whenever i use top water weather it is for bass or Pike i always wait for the tug! Alot of the time fish will jump to hit the lure and totally miss it, if you jerk there will be no fish to hook or you could foul hook him. Normally the fish will come up grab the lure and turn away, once u feel that line tighten up set that hook!

I seem to have good luck with zara spooks for pike, once in a while i will use a big chug bug to.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
Fun isn't it???[Smile]
I have fished with many different types of topwaters for tigers and bass and by far my most productive is a 3/8 oz to 1/2 oz buzzbait. Chart./white skirt with a gold blade is my go-to. The ones i have been using as of late are made by Cavatron that Sportsmans Warehouse sells. They last a long time and almost always track true right out of the package. They don't take very much speed to keep on top and cast nicely.
As for setting the hook, BPGuy nailed it. Wait until you feel the fish before you set the hook. Most of the time i don't even have to set it. I have a problem pulling it away sometimes so i try not to watch when they hit it. If you try and set the hook at the initial explosion, 90% of the time you pull it away from them. If you are still having problems hoking fish, try using a stinger hook. I don't like to but sometimes you have to.[Wink]
[signature]
Just the guys I wanted to hear from, thanks for the advice. I'll build my collection next year, but right now i'm using the jackall dagored lure in perch color. I'm heading out the door to get my job back and if it doesn't take all day, I'll be on the water. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I dont like using stingers either, a big pain in the ass in my opinion.
[signature]
I never really tried using a buzz bait for gators. I got this big goofy frog buzzbait lookin thing that i tried before but did not really used it that long. im sure i will give it another try someday. I will post a pic of it when i get a chance. Maybe i will go to sportsmans and buy some of those Cavatron things lol. If they work for you why wouldn't they work for me lol. i guess we will find out in the spring.
[signature]
At least 99% of the time, when a fish hits a topwater bait she comes up behind it, takes it, then turns away.

You want to feel the weight of the fish before setting the hook. It's as simple and as hard as that.

Problem is, in the excitment of actually watching the take, the bait rides up on the bow wave thrown up by the fish. You see that and convince yourself she's taken the bait.....and wind up setting the hooks on water.

Discipline yourself to wait until you feel the weight of the fish and your success rate will skyrocket.

Brook
blog link not allowed on this forum
[signature]
I've always used lures from Grim Reaper, bucktails for musky and minnows for pike. I always change between an orange and chartreuse color and have had descent luck with that. It was only 3 weeks ago when a 14 year old girl blasted KY's state record and landed a 57'' musky, which she was using a bobber with a worm on it...maybe I should try that [crazy]
LOL!!! Didn't you know that Muskie fishermen are always the unlucky ones!!! we never get the big ones. The big one landed around me this year was on the first day of trout when a guy was reeling in a 8" trout and big old 52" muskie grabbed a hold of it on the end of his 10# mono. Took him 45min and a long walk down the shoreline before he got it in lol.
[signature]
Lucky guy lol, I bet he will be a little weary about trout fishing there again with musky that size swimming around his ankles lol.
I DID IT AGAIN[Image: angry.gif]. I've been out a couple times and the wind has made the pond look like a whirlpool. Untill yesterday I finally had a smooth pond to practice on. About a half hour untill sundown, I see a tiger musky body surfing about a hundred feet to my left, and fifteen feet from shore. So I crept over and chucked it about five feet to the right of him. I reeled in fast to pick up the slack and then two seconds into my slow retrieve, this giant mouth comes up to nail it. AGAIN I set the hook too soon. Someone said I need to discipline myself, I think I need to be beat with a stick[pirate]. I'll keep trying though, I'm sure the first time I hook one, will be the last time I miss one.
[signature]
Sharpen your hooks, and try NOT setting the hook! Let them grab it and run a few feet. Your reel will do all the work for you.
[signature]
[Smile]In all my 40 years of fishing the big black jitterbug has landerd me more bass, walleye,and pike than any other top water plug in my bait box. If you have a favorite Iam all ears. fish on boys.
[signature]