Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MARYLANDS ENGELMEYER LEADS BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
CORNELIUS, North Carolina - Through a day of rain, Allan Engelmeyer jumped to the lead of the Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Weekend Series Championship on North Carolina's Lake Norman after catching 13.04 pounds Thursday for a two-day total of 24.19 pounds.

In addition to the coveted Classic berth, the winner of the four-day event will receive a $100,000 top prize. If Engelmeyer hangs on, he would round out the 51-angler field for the Classic, set for Feb. 20-22 out of Shreveport-Bossier City, La., on the Red River.

The Severn, Md. angler, who took the day's Big Fish title with a 3.74-pound bass, has been fishing the Weekend Series the past two years. Engelmeyer had four bass earlier in the day, with the largest coming at 2:30 p.m.

"I really enjoy the opportunity to fish close to home by fishing this trail and for me the number one reason is to win a berth into the Bassmaster Classic," Engelmeyer said. "I've been watching the Bassmaster Classic since I was 7 years old, and it has always been my dream to one day be on that stage weighing in my own fish. Maybe this will be my year."

Jeff Coble of Manson, N.C., moved into second with 20.63 pounds with a 9.84-pound catch. Coble is going after a third Weekend Series title and hopes of a fourth Classic berth.

Day one leader David Williams of Maiden, N.C., dropped to third with 20.43 pounds. Bob Perkins of Crosslake, Minn., is fourth with 19.1 pounds and Chris Dill of Hueytown, Ala., is fifth with 18.96 pounds to round out the top five of the 124-angler field.

On Saturday, the field will be cut to the top 25 pros and co-anglers. The weigh-in will be held at Gander Mountain in Mooresville, NC at 2:30 p.m.

About BASS: For 40 years, BASS has served as the authority on bass fishing. With its considerable multi-media platforms and expansive tournament trail, BASS is guided by its mission to serve all fishing fans. Through its industry-leading publications Bassmaster Magazine, BASS Times and Fishing Tackle Retailer and comprehensive Web properties in Bassmaster.com and ESPNOutdoors.com, the organization is committed to delivering content true to the lifestyle. Additionally, television programming on ESPN2 continues to provide relevant content - from tips and techniques to in-depth tournament coverage - to passionate audiences.

The organization oversees the prestigious Bassmaster tournament trail, which includes the Bassmaster Elite Series, Bassmaster Opens, Women's Bassmaster Tour and the Bassmaster Classic, the ultimate celebration of competitive fishing. Through its grassroots network, the BASS Federation Nation, BASS sanctions more than 20,000 events annually.

BASS also offers an array of services to its more than 500,000 members while spearheading progressive, positive change on issues related to conservation and water access. The organization is headquartered in Celebration, Fla.

Media Contact

Anthony Bartkowski, (407) 566-2135 or anthony.a.bartkowski@espn.com