Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHEAP STRIPS
[cool]Hey folks. I have been looking for some small strips of something I could use to decorate my "baitbugs" and Roadrunners, other than bait. Sometimes you run out. Sometimes you just don't got none.

Uncle Josh makes some little pork "fly strips" that are the right size for small bait bugs, but they are costly and they dry out if you leave them out of water very long. There are also some synthetic strips that you can cut into your own special shapes.

The other day, I was cruising through a favorite craft supplies store, looking for some thin white leather or other material from which I could cut some strips to substitute for bait. As i walked down one of the aisles, I stopped dead in my tracks. There was a large display of stuff called "Rainbow Felt". It was suitably thin, made of synthetic (nylon ?) and cheap. Only 19 cents for a square foot of the stuff. And, talk about "Rainbow". There were almost every color you could imagine. Several whites, with different sparkly colors sprinkled in...reds and hot reds, yellows and chartreuses, blacks, blues. There's not a color I use in my creations that was not represented.

I blew 19 cents on a square of the"Snowfelt White"...with little flecks of pearl glitter all through it. Took it home, got out the scissors and cut out some different shapes and sizes to try last Saturday. Good news. The fish voted for it. I caught several of my biggest fish Saturday on bait bugs adorned with the new synthetic stuff.

It is a little stiffer than pork, but it adds bulk, color, flash and porosity...to hold fish attractant longer. It helps the jig fall slower, when the fish are finicky, and it flutters enough to increase the action when jigged. The surprise was in how tough it was. I thought it might tear apart easily, after being cut into small pieces. But, after several aggressive fish worked it over, I still had to work to get the stuff off the hook. I actually had to crimp down the barb on the jig to remove the strips.

I plan to blow at least a dollar on several more colors to try. I especially like the idea of adding a chartreuse strip to black jigs...and maybe some hot red on the back of white. I'm betting trout will jump all over that one. I also think a small bit of orange, on the greenish metallic bugs will be a great offering for smallmouths, in fresh water, and for surf fishes of all kinds. Heres a pic of the material, cut into strips and then into shapes for fishing...and how I attach to my jigs.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2047975.jpg]

TubeDude
[signature]
Thanks for the info TD, Saturday I tried out your white RR... caught a short halibut... very nice... had a tough time casting inthe wind though. I will try it out somemore next week (hopefully).

Thanks again,

Minh
[signature]
[cool]Well, at least you initiated the new stuff. Don't teach my lures any bad tricks.

I hate fishing in the wind. I can handle heat and cold, but when the wind starts blowing I am finished. It is too hard to maintain position, and if you are "touch" fishing with light tackle and small lures, it is impossible to tell what is going on down there.

As I pointed out in the little writeup, I like light lures that fall slowly...like real prey does. You never see a small fish or shrimp plummet to the bottom like heavy jigs do. I have watched fish feeding underwater. When they see something falling slowly, they move over to intercept it...watching it very closely. If it looks edible, they will either gulp it before it hits the bottom, or watch it until it moves once it reaches the bottom.

A lot of the fish I catch on small jigs are at this point. A little "shivver lift", after letting the jig rest on the bottom a few seconds, will often turn into a strike and a fish. But, the more natural it falls, the more likely you will be to charm one into biting.

TubeDude
[signature]
I will put your wise words to good practice.![Smile]
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

Another mission I have for tomorrow is to send you your magic strips. My poor next-door neighbor had one shoulder higher than another for about a month and he had it fixed but he isn't able to search for and find my stuff so I'm going to get another jar. I had the blue color and it was good but they also have a pink color. Seeing his program, last Saturday where he used them big time, they both seemed to work. Which color would you prefer?

Sorry bout the delay,

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]If you will let me know where I can get some, I will be happy to order a test batch. I do not use many colors except white or glitter for trailers, except in cold or murky water. Then, I will do some black, chartreuse or hot pinks. Right now, I am fishing in warm, clear water, so white is my color of choice for trailers.

Sorry about your neighbor's condition. Now if you told me his lopsided shoulder was the result of catching too many fish on those strips, I would say "I gotta get me somma dat." (A poor attempt at Cajunese)

TubeDude
[signature]

Hi TubeDude,

I still owe ya on all the fantastic goodie and besides I want that different color too so so sweat!

I'll see what's up with the colors but whatever else I'm gonna try the pink from when my buddy get better. ha ha

Goin' saltwater fishin' on a sportie tomorrow. and... maybe Thursday or Friday. I'll send off what's left of the jar. I was told it's pretty tough stuff. I may need a vacation from it all!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]I would imagine you are counting the days to when you will be heading north. Have you set a day for your departure?

And, have you practiced with the trinkets enough to get the hang of them?

By the way, the young lads are impressed with your noodle rod.

TubeDude
[signature]
Tube Dude - great idea with the cheap strips! One question to my wife and she produced the very material you were discussing from her craft stash; a sheet of white and a sheet of red. She also has a bottle clear glue that is loaded with glitter. She uses that to "paint" designs on the felt.

I smeared some of the glitter-glue on the white and red felt and it really adds some flash. I cut out a few pieces similar to the shapes you have in your picture and they look great on the baitbugs and roadrunners. A strip of glitter red on the hook of a white/blue baitbug sure looks like it would get some attention from the trout. I hope to try it out this weekend -
[signature]
[cool]Good luck with the experiment. I hesitated to add any glues or other stiffening agents...trying more for a flutter. But, by adding some extra flash you might attract some extra attention. Do take along your favorite scent, and don't be shy about still adding a small piece of worm or fish skin.

Let me know how it turns out. I will be gathering up some other colors before it gets cooler in the fall (I hope) and will be trying some of the hot colors, along with blacks. Maybe we can work out an exchange of colors by mail, to cut down the cost. Man, at 20 cents a sheet, you gotta be made of money to buy much of that stuff.
[signature]