Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what do you think?
this is true on streams not frequented a lot.

But on streams like the Yellowstone, San Juan, Colorado River, Dream Stream, The Reef there are so many people all the time the fish get used to the activity. I have had large fish come to less than a rod length of me to rest in the quiet water while I am casting up stream.

I have seen fish move over down stream of a fisherman standing in the water and start eating nymphs coming down the conveyor stream.

Another myth can be that boats floating down the river put the fish off. If it is river that is geting a lot of traffic they will continue to feed subsurface but risers may stop for a little while. I have caught trout with a dry fly right behind the toon I was riding down stream.

There are guys that fish in the white water park while kayakers are splashing about.

It has to do with what the fish are experiencing before hand and thus are used to.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Regardless, I will still use the stealth approach. Now on a sandy bottom lagoon, pond or even a river I have had fish milling around my legs. Guess that they are challenging my ability to short cast, or waiting for clumsy me to drop one of my flies. LOL[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I'm with you, Dryrod. Stealth is the watchword. More softly, minimize your silhouette (lawd, how many casts have I made from my knees!), etc.

I was also taught to stay out of the water as much as possible, for the same reason.

But I'm thinking it's because you and I grew up fishing the hard-hit streams of the Northeast, where fish learned to be spooky. Even the shadow of a passing bird can often put them down.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
Don't get me wrong now. There are a lot more places in the west where stealth and walking softly is the way to be.
[signature]
Which brings up a new subject....CLOTHING. Do you think it matters?
BLACK REELS over Titanium? How far do we go?
[signature]