Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem following rod repair
Had a 2 piece rod top section snap just above the ferrule. Because it was so close to the ferrule I couldn't use a short joining piece. A friend suggested wrapping with glass tape & epoxy over. I did the job last week & it all appears good & strong.

BUT there is a problem I just hadn't foreseen. The repair has set at a very slight angle. This means the butt section won't go fully home. It's probably only about 1/4" to go but I suspect this will be important & may lead to another failure(it's a pike rod & will be casting heavy weights).

Is there any chance of recovery - maybe ream out the blank until all is home, or is it trash-bound?
[signature]
you might try and ream out the rod until it fits all the way in. If it were me, I woud start over and make another rod.
I have never trusted a broken rod that was rapaired, when I was younger I had a rod repaired and it broke again at just about the same place as the first, just above the ferrule. I dodn't use 2 piece rods anymore, a one piece rod has better action and a smoother bend. hope this helps out. later chuck
[signature]