Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chopper Cart
[cool][#0000ff]Over the years I have tried a succession of different creations to help me get my loaded up tube from the vehicle to the water, without having to carry it. I have made several posts in which I have shown the different contrivances. Most have worked...to an extent. Some better than others.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My most recent effort was what I called my "Chopper"...a cut-down golf cart with a bit of PVC added to support and stabilize my tube. I took it on its first test run last Monday, when I went to Pineview. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The trudge up and down that rocky path, between the car and water, is a serious test. I have used it before to quickly identify any potential problems. If there IS a defect in the plan, it shows up quickly. I am happy to report that my Chopper survived all tests and made it easily both down and back up that killer trail.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The basic design is a simple support system for the seat section of the tube...attached at three points with bungee cord and carabiner clips. It hooks on easily and is rock solid, with little wobble and sway. The golf cart wheels are large enough and wide enough that they ride up all but the largest rocks and will also track well in sand.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the final pic you can see the PVC tow handle I attached to the loop at the front of the tube.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are some pictures. If anybody wants more detailed pics of the construction, I have some available.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great cart!. In the last picture I see PVC with a T, where does it attach?
[signature]
[quote idahopanfish]Great cart!. In the last picture I see PVC with a T, where does it attach?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Sorry. I meant to elaborate on that. In the attached pic you will see that the end is a T, with about 6 inches of width. It slips inside the front loop on the tube easily...and removes easily...but is very secure but flexible for towing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I need to make a more comfortable holder for the front though. Thinking about adding a nice handle or at least some thick rope. Tough on the hands if you drag it for any distance.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Neat ideas. I like the plans.
[signature]
Great Idea TD......2 Thumbs Up.

AT
[signature]
That looks like a wonderful idea. Just look where it came from. Can you figure something out for the Electric Golf cart as well? ha ha[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Oh, I can figure out a lot of things for the electric cart. Carries more "accessories" and "refreshments". But without 4X4 and knobbies it wouldn't make it up and down the hills.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I thought you might come up with something like "Attention K-Mart choppers."[/#0000ff]
[signature]
An idea for your handle, put a piece of nylon rope through the pvc and add a piece of plastic tubing on the rope for ease of use. Now you would have a flexible and comfortable handle.[cool]

This gives me an idea. I think I will need to head to the DI tomorrow and see what they have in wheeled assortments. Already thinking how I can make a rack to attach to my tune to hole one.[Wink]
[signature]
I just have to break down and buy mine. Here is what I need and how easy it is. The mount is already on the frame.

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/skykomishassembly.html
[signature]
Think they can get any more weight on that is not needed?
[signature]
HUH? I don't understand so comment.
[signature]
When looking at the assembly pics they put two large daimond plated tubs, bins, or something on, that looks like a lot of weight.
[signature]
It is Aluminum......LIGHT. This boat weighs less than the ones with the steel frames. Plus it is bladderless. I can pick it up by myself.
The plates are extras though. One for standing, and one for battery, rods, motor, weiner dog[Wink]

What weighs more.....ALUMINUM or PVC?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The handle I currently use IS PVC. Surprise, surprise. It does incorporate a combination of rope and PVC to give it twisty turny flexibility. Easy on and off too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Before you hit DI or Savers (A good source) you should come over and see my different designs. I have a new design that will use the rectangular PVC base to attach to the tube, but with two droppers that will hold the wheels from a golf cart. On many model golf carts the wheels attach to a 3/8" rod with a wingnut type attachment and have the bearings right inside the wheel. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can also find some good buys on golf carts on KSL.com. We just made a really cool tube truck for Waljustia out of an older model golf cart, for his H3 Freestyle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'd be happy to help you get it rigged if you wanna bring everything over to the "Tubeatorium"...my garage.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Here you go.

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2009web...page5.html
[signature]
I'll have to do that. Thanks!
[signature]
hey TD, That looks cool. The trail down to the water looks like a bugger. Ron
[signature]
Hey TD I really get a kick out of your post ,pic's and mod's, they always get my mind to going. But just the other day I was looking through a gardening catalog, and I saw a soft sided wheelbarrow with a large inflatable tire, that when not in use folded into quite a compact package. I was just wondering if something along those lines might work for you . Shoot from what I have seen you could make it out of pvc ( including the tire)
[signature]
I use a balloon type tire without a frame in my setup as pictured in a previous posting. It is about the only thing that can handle soft mud in addition to the other terrains if the loaded 'tube' weight is not too great, say under 45#. Also the whole thing floats if lost overboard. No spokes or exposed axle to tangle in weeds or rocks on uneven rough terrain. Jolts are cushioned on uneven rocky terrain so shocks are not transmitted as much. Tied on stuff that might break loose or bounce out is not lost and depthfinder is not jolted as much. Fastest to deploy, lowest weight and most compact arrangement possible, AFAIK. The downside are punctures and keeping a balance over long distances when using a single wheel arrangement. Cost is also high for the wheelbarrow you mentioned or even for the separate commercial "ball" wheel. A "ball" dock wheel can be substituted and costs much less.

That said, I think T.D.'s design using a golf cart is quite clever. Two wheels are more stable, there is no exposed axle, and hard wheels mean it is easier to pull and no flats. I will be looking to build a pontoon version of the T.D. cart in the future.

So many exciting projects, so little time!

Pon

[quote Laroo]Hey TD I really get a kick out of your post ,pic's and mod's, they always get my mind to going. But just the other day I was looking through a gardening catalog, and I saw a soft sided wheelbarrow with a large inflatable tire, that when not in use folded into quite a compact package. I was just wondering if something along those lines might work for you . Shoot from what I have seen you could make it out of pvc ( including the tire)[/quote]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As you might suspect, I HAVE tried garden carts, kids' wagons, etc. They all work fine, for getting the tube from point A to point B. But, part of the need is for something not too bulky or heavy that I can strap on the back of the tube and take out on the water while fishing. Sometimes I like to launch at one spot and come back in at another.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a pic of something I made from the inflated tires. Worked fine but heavier than the lighter golf cart wheels.[/#0000ff]
[signature]