Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitefish in Muskegon
I feel bad that i havent posted sooner about this, but then i have been quite busy catching whitefish in the channel of mskegon. Just wanted to let everyone that may not know that they are there pretty thick and to make sure you release all the you foul hook, since the DNR do hang out in plain clothes...and of course because its unsportsman like to keep a fish foul hooked.
[signature]
Hey thanks !
Looking forward to doing a little steelheading soon on the manistee .
Gas prices what they are I can't pass up on a couple of trips before christmas !
[signature]
Whitefish is one of the only fish that the little wifey doesn't like. I'll pass on that species and just stay home and keep warm.

Good luck, post of pics if you get any.

Mike
[signature]
Well, today is such a beautiful day that I probably wont go fishing for the whitefish, ... just imagine what the tippy would be like peak salmon run on a nice warm day like this... whitefish fishing is bad even when its freezing and 2am, it will be worse than the tippy at the channel today, might go down and watch though not sure, maybe a few before ice over muskies on mona lake. itll be something fishing i am sure but not whitefish today, to nice out.

And if i dont post again before tomorrow, i hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!!
[signature]
only caught one today, looks like the run is over, might still have a few come in at night but for the most part its done, now to move on to the steelhead before they are gone, maybe some walleyes or pikes then to wait for safe ice
[signature]
fishing the au sable saturday for some holdovers from the run , i'm hoping for a deep red one to put on the wall .
You giving up on the steelhead so soon ? why ?
[signature]
How are you catching these whitefish? There are a lot of whitefish at our cottage on northern Lake Huron but it is not suitable for ice fishing and no one, except for the commercial fishermen, know how to catch them. Any help would be appreciated, since the salmon and trout fishing has dropped off drastically in the last few years. Thanks Ian
[signature]
Hi Ian , welcome to the boards !

I'm not sure how most guys fish them but i'm betting they can give you their method as well.

I'm pretty much a diehard steelhead fisherman and I'm a little hung up on the long rod light line fishing .
I'll use a slip-bobber setup with a wax worm in these colder temps , sometimes a single egg instead of the waxworm .
I see some guys use small minnows but I haven't tried that .
[signature]
I knew an ol guy ...I think he was like 98 .... this was back in 84 I lived in Oscoda..well any way the ol guy would take a half hour or more to get out on the south wall... he would take a can of corn and throw it out in the mouth of the river as far as he could ..then sit down and drink a half of beer..not sure what kind.... any way he would then take out like 8 poles.....hook up a perch minnow.... and a small split shot.... lay the poles on the cement witha little weight holding the poles....... he would watch the tip close ..well this ol man would get 2 ..5gallon buckets full in maybe 2 hours ..I would fish for walleyes and laugh my butt off at this guy.... I told him one day..you know if the DNr came out here you would get one heck of a fine.... he said SON I was born before the dnr was even around ..and crack open another beer hahahahahha .... it was great ... give that a try maybe lol
[signature]